Yeast temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossrainey

Reaction score
So I've finished brewing my first batch and it's been in the primary for a little more 24 hours. Fermentation started last night while I was asleep, but after checking the fermometer I get a reading of about 70 to 74. I put it in a small water bath and got the temp down to 68 to 72, not too sure how to read the fermometer. The question I have is if there will be any off flavors unless I get the temp down in the fermenter. I live in an apartment in GA where the weather is still between 50's and 70's but the temp inside has been staying between 66 and 70 on a usual day. I tried searching, but can't find anything reassuring with the temperature I'm at. Beer is a AHS special holiday with white labs east coast ale yeasts WLP008 that I made a starter and let sit at room temp in the same location as the fermenter. Yeast said optimal range was 68-73.

If you keep it in the 60's to low 70's range, it will be fine. I never check the temp on mine, I just put it in a water bath in primary with a t-shirt over it, it works great in my apartment.

Let me just make sure on the question here: you're asking if it is okay if your fermentation is at between 68- 72 when the yeast directions said the optimal temperature is between 68-73?

I may not be a phd on this stuff but I am going to hazard a guess and say yes your temp is fine. ;)

The temp was 68 - 72 when I put it in the ice bath but jumps up to 70-74 or 76 maybe when the ice melts and the water gets back up to room temp. I know theoretically it should be fine, but from the searches I read people would say once ales got into the 70s it can cause the off flavors so I was wondering if that could happen with mine even though the yeast said 68-73 was the ideal temp.

Short answer is you'll be fine.

I get a little anxious too when I see my fermometer hit the mid 70's but the plain fact is that even if the yeast does produce some esters at that temp if you leave it long enough in the fermenter the yeast will also clean up most of those off flavors.

The adage that time heals all ales is pretty accurate.

Back