Transfer hop plants from garden to container for long-term

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm getting ready to relocate, and my new apartment doesn't have a place for me to plant my hops. I'd really like to take my two (outdoor) Centennial plants with me and grow them inside, but the plants are alread about 12 feet tall. Should I cut them to the ground and dig up the rhizomes, try to take the whole plant (very impractical), or leave them for the next tenants?

Will cutting the plants to the ground mid-season harm the rhizome? I'm fairly certain that even if I let them regrow after that I wouldn't get a good harvest.

I'm moving with my girlfriend who is starting her residency to an apartment in downtown Richmond, so I need to plan for at least three years of indoor growing. Maybe longer.

Thanks

I would transport it without cutting it. I don't think this is "very impractical"; just be very careful...I bet it can be done with minimal issues considering the hardy nature of the plant.

If you can move the ropes that they are climbing I don't see why you would need to cut them.

You may need to cut the rhizomes depending on how big they are when you dig them up as brand new rhizomes can only last in a pot for a few years before you need to split them into multiple pots.

Much as I hate to say it, you'll be better off abandoning them. They'll not do well for three years in container and even worse inside. Try to get ahold of a local HB club and offer them up before you move with some stipulations that you'll get some of the harvest every year or a split when you get settled. Craigslist is also your friend.

Back