Question about fermenting a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalloweenGod

Reaction score
I brewed the "Brewers Best Bold Series Russian Imperial Stout" and would love to hear peoples thoughts on fermenting and storing. Here is a quick run down of the brew.
6.6 lbs Dark malt extraxt
2 lbs Dark Dry Malt Extract
8 oz crushed roasted barley
8oz crushed Black Patent
1 lb crushed crystalmalt 60l
1oz columbus hops

I brewed it on the 2nd and have it fermenting in a ale pale. Fermentation has slowed a lot since, about a bubble every 45 seconds to a mintues. I plan on racking when the specific gravity stops. My question is how long should I keep it in the secondary fermenter? And after I bottle it how long should I let it condition in the bottle?

I would wait at least another week before racking it to secondary. At that point, you can leave it in secondary as long as you want, any time after a few weeks, bottle it when it's convenient, then let the bottles carbonate and age. I haven't calculated the original gravity from that recipe, but generally you want to give an RIS at least a few months, ideally at least 6, from when you brew it to when you drink it.

Back