Price for Keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I have a buddy that will sell a half keg for $30 and my other friend will cut the top off with a plasma torch for free.

So, $30 total for a keggle is a no brainer right?

Buy it, who cares how they came across it. Since this country is going to crap anyway under our current president it doesn't matter.

Talking about the direction of our country... and advocating possible immoral activity. :)

Like I said somewhere else, this country is full of grumpy old white men.

Last year it was immigration. Now it's health care. Quit complaining and do something about it!!

Sorry, back on topic... Yeah! 30 bucks, good deal!

Keg ethics and politics in the same thread. It must be Friday night baby, yeah!

Yah-It's-Friday.gif

Maybe I should have provided more of an explanation. There is no moral or ethical decision here.

My friend has a kegerator and buys half barrels all the time. He pays a $30 deposit on the keg. If he doesn't return it, the distributor keeps his $30 and is perfectly happy.

So instead of buying the keg from the distributor (which they said they will sell me) I just go next door and pay my friend the $30 deposit he'll lose for not returning it. So it's $30 from the distributor or from my friend. There's nothing shady about it. It's just easier for me to grab the keg from my friend because he lives right by me and it's sitting there.

No moral or ethical dilemma. Jeez, some people on here want to argue or debate everything.:mug:

Except the $30 deposit isn't the cost of the keg... it is just a deposit to encourage you to return it. id be surprised of the dist. was selling kegs for $30 when they cost much more than that to replace.

Like posted again, The debate is in another thread. That's now what this thread is about people. If you don't agree with his decision, then quietly leave the thread without posting.

Back to the OP.
1) sorry your thread got jacked

2) $30 is not a bad price at all for a keg with top cut off. You'll want a ball valve. Either Weldless or get a 1/2" coupler welded in and a pickup tube.

Except the $30 deposit isn't the cost of the keg... it is just a deposit to encourage you to return it. id be surprised of the dist. was selling kegs for $30 when they cost much more than that to replace.

Then be surprised guy. I'm not making this up. The distributor will sell me a half keg for $30. I talked with the owner. Maybe he has a deal on them or buys so much volume that they are cheaper here.

Apparently it doesn't cost him more thant $30 to replace it because the dist. wouldn't sell it for that if he was losing money.

This is what I mean. People debating things that they have no information on.

Then be surprised guy. I'm not making this up. The distributor will sell me a half keg for $30. I talked with the owner. Maybe he has a deal on them or buys so much volume that they are cheaper here.

Apparently it doesn't cost him more than $30 to replace it because the dist. wouldn't sell it for that if he was losing money.

I'm also picking up a keg (50 liter Guinness) for $30 tonight... from my buddy who runs a pub, cleared by the distributor. I don't really think they would lose money either.

Sorry, my mistake then, I thought the breweries OWNED the kegs, therefore the dist. isn't out anything anyway.

My bad, I thought breweries owned their kegs.

yes 30$ sounds like a great deal for a keggle.... seeing your going to want to add some more parts, ball vlave, thermometer, etc..

call a brewery. ask to purchase a keg. they will tell you buy one full and dont return it... now if your sneaking behind a restaurant at night and stealing 50 of them to take to the scrap yard thats another story..

/thread

Willynilly, You are right. The distributor does not own anything. The Breweries own the kegs, so these distributors are selling something they dont own. The distributor probably pays the brewery a $30 deposit fee, maybe less. That is why the distributor does not care if they get the keg back, but believe me, the brewery wants it back!

Ok, I lied.

I think most or at least a good portion of people that acquire kegs via deposit forfeits and the deposit forfeits of people they know or meet on craigslist don't know they're in fact stealing from the brewery that owns the keg. That is why this is not a topic for another thread. It should be mentioned any time someone suggests that this is a fair way to get a keg. Ignorance isn't a reasonable defense when you've made aware of it.

I certainly am not claiming moral high ground here. I don't care how you proceed as long as you know the actual legal implication. Take Rowdy's advice. Call a brewery and ask them if their distributor can sell you a shell for $30. Their answer will be different than Rowdy's estimate. As you make calls further down the chain, you're much more likely to get someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about the brewery's interests.

I think it's a great deal! For some reason the scrap yard here will not take beer kegs. Have a big sign out front of the few things they won't take and kegs is on the top. Hmmm, wonder why? I have 3 myself that I bought from a guy with a brewstand.

I think it's a great deal! For some reason the scrap yard here will not take beer kegs. Have a big sign out front of the few things they won't take and kegs is on the top. Hmmm, wonder why? I have 3 myself that I bought from a guy with a brewstand.

They have that posted, because they are buying stolen property of the brewery if they do. There can be legal implications.

They don't want to receive and destroy stolen property. Kegs are frequently stolen for this purpose.

Back