Brew slut seeking sud-mate (Calling all AG Hefeweissen Recipes)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your call for a sud mate from a Brew Slut named WormBoy scared off all those folks who normally would chime in with a recipe.

I'd recommend doing a search. You'll turn up loads.

Thankd Ed
I was just trying to be light hearted, but I guess maybe your right. Wormboy is from my gardening half, though I guess in the context it could be miscontrued. My bad. I will keep looking.

one of my favorites

60% wheat to 40% Pilsner

then a 1/2 lb Munich.

rice hulls of course

OG 1.050

Hallatauer @ 60 and 20

IBUs to 16ish

Mash @ 152

WL 320, or 380

12 days in the primary then straight to the keg

Well, I won't be your sud mate, but I'll pass along my Bavarian Hefe recipe.

7# Wheat
4# Pils
1/2# Rice Hulls

Mash for 90 minutes

0.75 oz. Hallertau at 45 minutes
0.25 oz. Hallertau at 15 minutes

Wyeast 3068 Weihnestephan with starter

Ferment at 68 degrees for 10-14 days in a primary then rack to keg.

It's a Darn Tasty Bavarian Hefe. Not like those domestic hefe ice teas. :D

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it.

In terms of humor, my wife often tells me that just because its funny to me, doesn't mean its funny! I guess I will try to curb my jokes (or at least make em better!)

And I do love a good heffe. Ed - I realize there is a lot out there, but its the good ones I'm looking for ;) And that recipe does sound good.

I will be brewing one of these, possibly as early as Friday.

Thanks

Good luck. You can't go wrong with WL 3068. Weihenstephan is the world oldest brewery. They've been brewing for over 967 years, so they must be doing something right!

What's up with the rice hulls? Never needed before and done a few wheat and rye beers. Just finished a brew tonight, 72% wheat, probably had the best flowing sparge ever and my grain was crushed perfect. No rice hulls.

Hey worm, check out the laubmeister weizenbock in my sig. I just brewed this one tonight and smells DELICIOUS.

seefresh said:
What's up with the rice hulls? Never needed before and done a few wheat and rye beers. Just finished a brew tonight, 72% wheat, probably had the best flowing sparge ever and my grain was crushed perfect. No rice hulls.

Congrats! The rice hulls were recommended to me and confirmed by Austin Home Brew when they saw my grain bill was 7#. I took em at their word and put 8 oz. in. Worked great, so I see no need to change anything.

What king of Mash tun manifold are you using?

Prost!

Using a rectangular 10 gal cooler with a copper, rectangular 1in manifold. I batch sparge as well, so maybe that helps? Dunno, but I always think about getting rice hulls then forget when I place my order.

Luckily had some great flows!

And, I guarantee you once I move near a LHBS or I order my next online purchase, if I think of rice hulls I'll get em, just to be safe ;).

Hmmm
You think that I'm askin for trouble doin the Hefe with a false bottom? I had a braid in there but realize now that is one of those "engineered materials" meaning plastic. It looks so much like braided stainless its tricky. Anyway, yanking that out and puttin the SS false bottom in until I can find me a real braid I guess. Think I'll have problems Ed? I have a 10 gal round.

Latest posts

Back