Anyone a member of www.homebrewvideos.com?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
I have been absorbing all I can about home brewing before I get started. I came across www.homebrewvideos.com. It looks pretty nice with a ton of info. Has anyone joined the members section? Any feedback would be helpful. Just wondering if the $67 fee will save a lot of time searching for answers. Thank you everyone and happy 4th!

I would suggest don't waste your money. There is plenty of info on homebrewalk, if you want to spend the money put it toward a membership here. I would do the same but I do not use pay pal.

I've been a member for over a year and the site is actually well worth the price.

All the free stuff on YouTube is okay, but most of it is really bad quality and is kind of random, and hard to really see what's going on or you just see a few random steps.

What's nice about homebrewvideos.com is that the guy spent like $20k on filming equipment and most of the videos are in HD and he shows entire beers brewed from start to finish. I definitely recommend checking it out, I've learned a lot.

I would suggest don't waste your money. There is plenty of info on homebrewalk, if you want to spend the money put it toward a membership here. I would do the same but I do not use pay pal.

I had this same problem but talked to Tx and he will accept other methods of payment by mail. Check or money order to his P.O. Box. The thread is here

The entire website looks like it was designed to sell his product, which is a series of homebrewing videos. You can get high quality videos from other sources, that also provide their content for free. For example, Northern Brewer has Brewing TV. I challenge you to tell me these are low quality videos...especially considering that they are filmed in HD, and the most recent BTV features John Palmer. Even one of our own forum members (Gary) used to make high quality videos in HomebrewerTV...it was more of a show than a straight walk-through, but I felt the information was top-notch. He ran into a snag with budget and memberships as well, but his website offered free videos and discounts for various things. People always rag on Craigtube, but he has tons of great videos, especially if you are an extract brewer. He does many non-instructional videos too, but I think you get the idea that he does it without trying to sell you a product.

Aside from videos, you have tons of good sources like The Jamil Show, where Jamil Zainasheff walks you through brewing various clones, etc. BYO and Zymurgy are great magazines that always have great information, clone recipes, pictures, etc.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most about that website, is that the entire thing seems to be dedicated to making money. There is no forum section, no sample videos...it looks just like what you'd see in an ebay listing. There's nothing wrong with a homebrewer trying to make a buck, but usually something like this comes after a person has been vetted, and they are banking on their reputation as a good homebrewer...not some film/econ student trying to corner a niche market. Other homebrewers have made money, like Chugger Pumps, but it was something we all asked for. I'm just rambling on, but be careful of what you pay for is all I'm saying. There are plenty of other people who have been giving their stuff away for free for years, who could use that money as a donation instead.

The entire website looks like it was designed to sell his product, which is a series of homebrewing videos. You can get high quality videos from other sources, that also provide their content for free. For example, Northern Brewer has Brewing TV. I challenge you to tell me these are low quality videos...especially considering that they are filmed in HD, and the most recent BTV features John Palmer. Even one of our own forum members (Gary) used to make high quality videos in HomebrewerTV...it was more of a show than a straight walk-through, but I felt the information was top-notch. He ran into a snag with budget and memberships as well, but his website offered free videos and discounts for various things. People always rag on Craigtube, but he has tons of great videos, especially if you are an extract brewer. He does many non-instructional videos too, but I think you get the idea that he does it without trying to sell you a product.

Aside from videos, you have tons of good sources like The Jamil Show, where Jamil Zainasheff walks you through brewing various clones, etc. BYO and Zymurgy are great magazines that always have great information, clone recipes, pictures, etc.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most about that website, is that the entire thing seems to be dedicated to making money. There is no forum section, no sample videos...it looks just like what you'd see in an ebay listing. There's nothing wrong with a homebrewer trying to make a buck, but usually something like this comes after a person has been vetted, and they are banking on their reputation as a good homebrewer...not some film/econ student trying to corner a niche market. Other homebrewers have made money, like Chugger Pumps, but it was something we all asked for. I'm just rambling on, but be careful of what you pay for is all I'm saying. There are plenty of other people who have been giving their stuff away for free for years, who could use that money as a donation instead.

^^^ This, I could not have stated my opinion any better.

Side Bar: As for Chugger Pumps, I visited Mike and his crew in May, at that time they were still producing pumps for us "for the love of homebrewing" and had not gotten into the black thus far. Fortunately for us he and his partners have a very successful industrial pump business to pay the bills.

It was worth the money to me. I like to see things in action rather than try and read about it. I don't use it much anymore, but it was worth it just starting out.

Back