2nd year Hallertau

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pascott6

Reaction score
I have Hallertau that is in it's second year & not one hop cone on it.
Whats wrong?

May be time to pull the plug on it and try something else. Some varieties perform better than others ~ and some just don't to much at all. Out of about 20 varieties I've tried over the years, maybe 6 have been worth keeping. The weak producers have a good year now and then so I keep them around. You might want to try moving it to a different location for a year or two as the spot you have it in now may not be conducive to good growth for one reason or another. Do a trade with someone for something different and you may be surprised!

More info is needed about where they are planted too.

Pot? Ground? How much sun do t hey get? How often do you water, how often do you fertilize? How often do you pray to the beer gods?

All important questions.

Hallertauer grows extremely well where I live. (above the 46th parallel).

I keep hacking them down, and pulling them out- but they are more invasive than weeds.

Other hops do well, too, like chinook and cascade and centennial- but I can not grow willamette here no matter how hard I try!

Climate plays a huge part of how well certain varieties grow!

They are in the ground, I have golding ( 2 nd year also & centennial (1st year) in the same garden & the are both producing cones, The Golding is relly full. We have had plenty of water & I fertilize with 12-12-12 once every 5-6 weeks

Back