M&M Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyaber

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.018 (with lactose)
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 65 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
35 days @ 65 degrees
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
strong coffee and chocolate aroma with a hint of mint
18 lbs. Breiss Pale Malt (2-row) (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs. Roasted Barley (300 SRM)
1.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt (350 SRM)
.5 Flaked Barley (1.7 SRM)
.5 Carmel/Crystal Malt-60L (60 SRM)
1 oz. Challenger (6.3 AA) (60 min)
2 oz Tettnag (4.5 AA) (2 min)
1 lb Baking Cocoa
1 lb Fresh Roasted coffee
1 lb Lactose
1 Tsp of Mint extract

Mash in with 7.11 gallons of 169.7 degree water.
Hold mash at 154 degrees for 60 Min.
Sparge with 180 degree water (fly sparged so my temp is considerably lower when it hits the mash vessel, approx 169-171)

Boil 1 oz Challenger for 60 min.
add 2 oz of Tettnag and 8 oz of baking cocoa with 2 min left of boil

Cool to 70 degrees.

Add Yeast

Ferment for 7 days at 65 degrees.

Cold steep 1lb fresh roasted ground coffee and 8 oz baking cocoa in 4-4.5 quarts of water, mix well. Let steep at least 24 hours in the fridge, stirring occasionally.

Rack to secondary.

Add all of the coffee/cocoa mixture to the secondary except the grounds.

Age for 5 weeks.

On bottling day boil 10 oz priming sugar and 1 lb of lactose. Cool.
Add 1 tsp mint extract.
Rack beer on top of solution and bottle as normal.
Let age at least a month, as it keeps getting better with age.
The first time we brewed this it was such a big hit, we made this 10 gallon batch the next year. It goes over very well around Christmas time.
The first batch seemed more bitter than the second, so I may back the lactose down to .75 pounds next time.

This is my very first recipe posted here, so if I did something wrong let me know and I will try to fix it.

Hope someone can enjoy this.

What kind of coffee did you use? 1lb seems like a lot, but I've never used cold steeped coffee. I always just add a few oz. of freshly ground beans at flameout and secondary.

This looks like a good recipe, although if I brewed it, I'd cut down on the roasted barley since I'm not a huge fan of it. How evident is the mint?

What kind of coffee did you use? 1lb seems like a lot, but I've never used cold steeped coffee. I always just add a few oz. of freshly ground beans at flameout and secondary.

This looks like a good recipe, although if I brewed it, I'd cut down on the roasted barley since I'm not a huge fan of it. How evident is the mint?

This is a 10 gallon batch remember, so for a five gallon it would be 8 oz. Also when I added the coffee, I just added the liquid from the cold steep, leaving out the grounds. Mint is very subtle. Mostly an aroma thing, you can barely taste it, the coffee and the chocolate are the main players here.

Oh, as for the coffee, I roast my own beans. I found a blend that I enjoy called "farmers morning blend" from ourcoffeebarn. That is what I used in this recipe.

Update: Just had a few of these last night, and they keep getting better. The over the top coffee/chocolate has blended together nicely. Now this is still kind of a "fun" beer. Not one you could drink a bunch of. Next step, add a scoop of ice cream on top and make an M&M coffee float!

Back