First batch in 14 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mateo

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch in 14 years. I am making my old favorite a Koelsh style ale. There have been many things that have changed in 14 years and something new, at least to me is the availability of all of these online calculators.

I calculated out my recipe and naturally exact weight and volumes could vary but from this site it shows efficiency of 100%. I never measured this before and wonder about its.

Here is my recipe:

8 lbs of Weyermann Pilsner Malt
.5 lbs of CaraFoam Malt

Pre boil volume of 7 gallons
Post boil of 6 gallons

O.G. 1.050

Mashing Technique - Triple Decoction (3 Hour Duration)
Sparge Technique - Hybrid Fly

I was thinking the weight of the grain might be off a bit, but I trusted the stores calculations.

Hmm...I get 99-100% too. You're sure about your final volume? It wasn't more like 5 gallons? 5 gal would give 82% eff for that recipe...

Also, any chance your hydrometer isn't correct? Check it in 60 degree water to see if you get 1.000? Finally, what was the temp of your wort when you checked gravity? Of course, if temp was a problem, your reading should have been too low, not too high.

PS. Welcome back to the dark side.

I bet its the final volume. I will check it when I rack it out. I bet its closer to 5.5 gallons.

Latest posts

Back