Well THAT was a total disaster...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

924RACR

Reaction score
Yesterday was our first time, after months of relatively successful AG brewing, that was pretty much a complete disaster, a total chitstorm...

Moral of the story: don't brew like I do.

It started with, and this was probably the biggest issue, an error in translation on the order. Emailed the shopping list to the brew buddy who was responsible for placing the order. In addition to of course hops and yeast, the grain bill (for a 10gal IPA) was:

24 lbs 2-row
3 lbs 10L Crystal
8oz carapils

As ordered:

24 lbs 2-row
31lbs 10L
8oz carapils

Compounding the error - since it was in fact our first 10gal, we didn't twig to the fact that we had nearly twice as much grain as we ought to. So we ground it all up, then tried to fit the 50+# of grain into our poor keggle mash tun. Gave up at 48lbs, 6lbs just sat this one out. Lucky for them.

Then we tried to mash in. Of course, we needed a lot more water than we had. But we had plenty of time to heat water as we were trying to mash in, because... too much grain, and adding the water to the grain (never an issue before, but when you've got grain to the top of your tun...) well, it took us about half an hour to mix and get all the stuff decently hydrated. Of course, the temp was too low, thanks to too much grain, so then trying to recirc and get the temp up to a reasonable level for mashing. Oh, and of course the thermometer was surrounded by a bit of a doughball we couldn't mix in, so it was reading low... good thing we had other thermometers to run from the top.

Oh, did I mention we ground it way too fine??? Yeah, rollers on the mill slipped since last time, and we suspect the weight of all that wet grain up top made things even worse... so our false bottom was jammed up bad and wouldn't even recirculate.

So we've got a layer-cake effect, with a warm wet mash up top, dry/doughy grain in the middle, and a small volume of liquor on the bottom below the false bottom. We're trying to draw that off to recirculate, while heating as well to get temp in more evenly through the mash... and so of course since there's grain through to the bottom, and not enough liquor, we're also scorching...

So we finally got it up to between 140-145, and called it good enough, let it camp out for an hour to think about what it'd done. :smack:

Oh, and in case you're wondering... no, we hadn't even consumed any beverages at this point!!! No excuse for all the cock-ups except inexperience, rushing to get things done (of course, it was only 28F outside and snowing), and not closely checking our steps as we went.

So after an hour, time to attempt a sparge. Of course, it's a complete mess we're heading into; we know it's gonna stick badly, thanks to the excessive weight and too-fine milling. So we get the ball rolling. No extra space up top to add water and get things rolling - still full right to the top, even after pulling off some grain.

Sure enough, no matter how many times we try to blow back and get a bed going, it just won't ever set up a good drain. We end up stirring heavily and using the mash paddle to try to keep clearing space on the false bottom, to draw off enough liquor to have a boil.

Finally made it through to the boil after a stupid amount of effort, and it started to resemble a normal brew. Boiled over heavily, of course, thanks to the massive amount of particulate in the boil kettle, but oh well. Jammed our hops in, and as expected with the stupid overload of grain, came out with crazy-high OG in spite of my estimate of 41% efficiency. LOL

Oh, and we were a bit worried about how sweet it was coming out, so we did decide to kick up the hops a bit on the fly - only added 1oz additional Warrior, but made most additions ahead of schedule to bump up the IBUs. May have overdone that a bit; final numbers are:
OG 1.101
IBUs 138
SRM 19.3

Could be one helluva tongue-bruiser; OTOH, the Columbus hops do tend to be more mellow, so maybe it'll still be drinkable! Definitely going to pack a punch, should be able to clear 10% ABV with those numbers. May end up something like an Arrogant Bastard clone, in a way; if not all that arrogant, it's definitely a bastard of a brew! :rolleyes:

Two more weeks, we'll crank through the Old Chub clone; looking forward to doing a much better job than this weekend... dang, I need a beer just thinking about all that again...

THIRTY ONE POUNDS OF CRYSTAL!? Wow! Haha didnt your pal notice the price was way out of whack? That beer is going to be cloyingly sweet with that much crystal.

Live and learn. Nobody becomes a great brewer without trial and error and learning a few things the hard way.

Yeah, he did mention he was surprised how expensive it was, but hey, first 10gal batch! LOL - and not like we haven't done 5gal high-gravity stuff before, either...

The sweetness is exactly why we started to crank up the hops - just sorta swagged it, but when we added another 1oz of Warrior with 30min to go, it actually started to smell like beer again, not breakfast... ;)

As they say, you always learn more from your mistakes than your successes. I hope we've learned a year's worth, 'cuase I definitely don't wanna repeat that any time soon...

I really hope you bought online. I'd be very disappointed in a homebrew store that lets you buy 31 lbs of Crystal without saying anything...

WTF? I know you have to take a little responsibility but it sucks that homebrew store you shop at didn't double check on the reason you're buying (by mistake) 31# of crystal. If it comes out too sweet you could always use it as a blending beer!;)

LOL! Yeah, if it's at all drinkable, we'll count it as a "success"...

Yes, purchase was online.

Yes, my purpose in posting was to give others a chance to point and laugh and realize some of those disasters aren't so bad, could always be worse! ;)

Great story. Funny how we don't tell stories about the perfect brew day or the perfect vacation. We always talk about the ones gone wrong. They're a lot more interesting.

LOL! Awesome.

If you find that it is undrinkable you could use it for:

A) Blending with a very dry beer
B) Innoculate it with something like Brettanomyces or Lactobacillus.
C) Make A LOT of malt vinegar.

:drunk:

I never tire of these brewdays from the deep deep south stories. It really helps put the small errors in perspective. I feel sorry for the sheer amount of grain waste, but I hope that it finishes out to be at least drinkable with a possible futrue as blending. Now you need to brew it right for 10 Gal.

LOL... but we're north of Canada!

I only wish I could claim I was drunk when it happened. This was sheer stupidity, on the part of not one bu in fact three "responsible" adults...

Yeah, pisses me off to waste what could easily have been 2+ good batches of beer. And yes, I'm that much more motivated to make sure the next batch kicks A$$...

Well you know what they say. You can fill a room with only the most intelligent, but once they are all in the same room you have yourself a room full of idiots. I would just chalk it down to brew excitement and keep the story in your file of well, that wasn't what I expected.

For sure... our biggest fear is that we take it to the next homebrew meeting and everyone likes it so much they want the recipe! :D

I can't even fathom what that will taste like.....

My gut is that you should have added 3 oz of warrior for 90 minutes......a ton of hops will cover some big mistakes, but that one may take the cake....may taste like cake too.......with EXTRA extra icing.

(deep deep south??)

attended a buddy's wedding in western Michigan and was amazed to find out that rednecks without southern accents actually exist

I thought my brew day went bad yesterday, I had the strike temp of the grain set to 70 but I brought the bucket outside early so it was probably 27 degrees, strike temp too low, shot the temp down to 140 when I doughed in. I heated back up to 152 stirring (BIAB, first time outside with a propane burner). Threw some blankets on it and did some cleanup, came back out 15 minutes later to stir, it was at 160! Eeep. I stirred and stirred until it came down, threw the blankets back on, stirred every so often, ended up around 148 after an hour. Then a ton was boiling off with the cold dry air so I added some water, it was dark and steamy out by then, I couldn't read the ruler so I read the foam left on it (wrong, it must had slid down before I got it to the light), I ended up with about 6.5 gallons after the boil and my OG was 1.056 insted of 1.065. I could have boiled it down but didn't want to screw up the hop additions.

@fizgig - yeah, just not a good weekend to brew in Tha D, it seems! :mug:

I have been brewing a little over a year and went to AG after batch three or so. I knew there was a lot to learn, and should have used better thermometers, better propane burner, less ignorance, etc. Of the twelve or thirteen batches I have made, I am really only proud of two. The rest of course were drank, but not really enjoyed. So, I get it.

haha, i didn't even notice we are in the same city, nice.

:off:Soooo, how old are you? My kids love to laugh at the Black Crystal (has GOT to be your username origin;)) and I was 8 or so when it came out, so I LOVEd it.

Sorry! Curious.:off:

Yup from The Dark Crystal, I'm 36 (actually saw it in the theater, first run), I used to use that name playing Unreal Tournament back in the day, we used to always pick crazy obscure names to get a laugh, and it used to never be taken on forums/AIM/etc. so I stuck with it. I also had the record and book if anyone remembers those combos where you put on the record and turned the page when it made a certain sound effect.

Yup from The Dark Crystal, I'm 36 (actually saw it in the theater, first run), I used to use that name playing Unreal Tournament back in the day, we used to always pick crazy obscure names to get a laugh, and it used to never be taken on forums/AIM/etc. so I stuck with it. I also had the record and book if anyone remembers those combos where you put on the record and turned the page when it made a certain sound effect.

Lol, AWESOME!

Yeah, I saw it first run. I'm 38. Thought my kids would like it, but they think the puppets look wierd. (or are they muppets?:drunk:)

Cool!

:mug:

Our 10 gal brew sat was out first ag. Our strike water was a little low so we tried to heat it up but weren't paying close attention and before we knew it we were mashing at 180. Oops. Then while chilling our wort realised the chiller had a leak the hard way. Again no drinking involved

Time for a few updates on the total disaster brew.

We've taken to calling this the Magnitude 3.1 Imperial IPA. Imperial IPA, 'cause we're hoping it might eventually drink like one. Magnitude 3.1, because it was supposed to be 3.0 lbs of grain... but 3lbs got turned into 31 lbs (thanks to Courier font, lack of a ".0" and a space, and a hurried order). :drunk:

Last sampling, was silly sweet but had indeed made it down to 1.030 SG. Got various interesting ideas about what to do with it at our HB club meeting, including pitching some wild yeast to sour it up! We decided to go with a more mainstream approach; boil up some sugar water (1lb sugar) and pitch it in, to try to dry it out. Also threw in some dry hops, Cascade IIRC, to try to get back more towards drinkable.

So we'll see how that goes. Is slowly but surely bubbling away, last I heard.

Then what? Well, the 10gal orig batch (actually 'round 8.5g) is now down to 5g after numerous rackings to clear out the funk that came through our failed sparge. It's actually impressively clear, though of course dark, closer to a red or amber ale.

If it's still not drinkable after the corn sugar's done it's best... I have a plan... :cool:

At a forthcoming 10gal batch (maybe next IPA brew), I'm thinking I'll do a second running through the mash tun, so as to generate a second, 5gal batch of small beer, maybe round 4% capable. Run that through and hop it like crazy... then, hopefully, mix it with the 3.1 and end up with something drinkable!

Added bonus, since it'll be runnings off a good batch... very little added cost, just some extra hops and yeast. Not throwing good money after bad, that way... and might just end up with another 10g of something worth knocking back at the end of the day!

Anyway, that's my grand idea; please chime in if you have any suggestions, in particular any experience trying to make small beer... :mug:

I like your ideas for the adding the smaller second runnings into to 3.1 beer. Its also great that even with the monster you created youre going to do something with it instead of tossing it. good luck to you and hopefully it turns out ok

Would read again.

I don't think I've ever had a day that bad but one of my funny things was hooking up my immersion chiller for the first time.

From the sink to the pot sitting on the toilet and the outlet in the tub. I was holding the outlet end in my hand when I turned the water on. I didn't realize the water coming out was going to be very hot and I kind of tried to throw the hose into the tub. Well of course the hose just started flailing around and basically covered me and my entire bathroom in very hot water. I was so stunned and shocked by it that it took a second to realize that I had to turn the water off. LOL

My brother tells a story about blowing into the hose for a stuck mash and getting a face full of hot wort because he just held the hose pointed at his face instead of into the kettle.

This story is awesome. If it all went to plan what fun would that be. Consider it your AG rite of passage. Don't feel bad though, my first AG I scorched my BIAB, ran out of propane, forgot to add any hops, and set my keggle insulation on fire. Live and learn man.

I have been brewing a little over a year and went to AG after batch three or so. I knew there was a lot to learn, and should have used better thermometers, better propane burner, less ignorance, etc. Of the twelve or thirteen batches I have made, I am really only proud of two. The rest of course were drank, but not really enjoyed. So, I get it.

I have a coffee stout that is a couple of months old, that I may have mentioned previously, ( the one I was worried about ). Anyway, after sitting in the fridge for another week, wow, I may have to do this again. First pour (probably too cold) the head settled down and sort of resembled a proper nitrogen head as seen on a Guinness. No, I am not comparing my stout to a Guinness. BTW, I went to a TGIF a few days ago, and ordered a Guinness. What a disaster! The new keg was under carbed, but the head was pure Nitro, and pretty. Needless to say, I drank something else... Oh, yes, this batch I am rather proud of.

Update from this end - hope springs eternal!

We added 1lb of corn sugar to the batch (now down to 5gal), and also threw in 2oz of Cascade to dry hop 'er up... tasted again yesterday.

SG is still hovering at 1.030, not making any further inroads to that apparently... but at least the added sugar went bye-bye - though you can indeed taste that dryness, at least it helps this beer. I wouldn't go so far as to call it balanced, but it's more palatable, less sickly-sweet now. But the sugar does seem to have added a bit of a wicked alcohol zing/burn to it I don't care for (but better than the alternative).

The hops are at least as significant an improvement too - though we could've even gone further. But they definitely bring it back in line. Not sure if we're gonna do another shot, might want to, throw some Warrior at it.

HOWEVER... meantime, over a few strong beers, we've figured out our next great idea for torturing this miserable beer... ;)

Bourbon and wood. Keep in mind, it has an odd smoky undertone, thanks to a bit of scorching of the mash. So... we'll work with that now, with a small addition of bourbon (1cup) and 1 oz of hickory. Yes, not oak - we feel that the sharper hickory will probably do a better job of taming this beasty!

We were nearly in fact tempted to use mesquite, but talked ourselves down off of that ledge. LOL

Weird beers call for weird treatment, after all...

PS - this is almost turning into something I'd be willing to try again, with a proper recipe... if we do end up in the right time zone with it, I will be scheming up a normal recipe to go in a similar direction.

Main question will be to see if we keep some smokiness (though through adding smoked malt this time! LOL)...

Time (seriously!) for another update...

We hit this with the 1oz lightly-toasted hickory in 1 cup of bourbon, 2 weeks.

It's actually not bad. Not something you'd want to drink a lot of, but it'd probably be a pretty good winter fireside beer!

Accordingly, we'll be bottling in 12oz, and hiding it until the winter. There's a bit of stuff in there (with respect to flavors) which will probably benefit from sitting for 6mos. Not much of a summer beer, but pretty suitable for a funky winter/Xmas libation...

Never give up!!!

Ain't it great how those mistakes work out sometimes? I'm down to the last couple pints of a batch I call my "mistake beer" because I shorted the grain bill by about 30%, resulting in 3.1 ABV session pale ale. I was ticked when i first realized the mistake, but it's turned into a pretty darn good beer, and one I will make again.

It's not too late to take a shot at adding enzymes. Alpha amylase is probably available at your LHBS. A couple of teaspoons of AA, then pitch a packet of S-05 in there at the same time. I'm not sure it will help with this, but I've used them when I mashed poorly and I got 15 more points in the fermentor.

Just found this thread, love it.

OP, I think you might be developing Stockholm Syndrome with respect to this brew. Cheers!

Back