How long does it generally take to get competition feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
Just entered my first competition which is being judged tomorrow. How long does it usually take to get feedback/scorecards back?

depending on the competition, you could know some things immediately. I have entered two comps in the past couple months that posted top 3 category placings live from the awards ceremony on facebook. Also, many of the comps I have entered post scores online - on the page where you entered your beers. One comp. had scans of scoresheets up within days. But, in general, I would say about 2-3 weeks for scoresheets to arrive in mail. Worst I have had was about 5-6 weeks.

What Braufessor said. It completely and utterly depends on who is running the competition.

Some competitions are awesome and have the results posted that night online. Others.... I've had to wait 8 weeks to get scoresheets back.

Needless to say, I now pick and choose which competitions I choose to enter.

I don't understand why it takes so long to get comp results back! Usually the day of the contest they know who all the winners are. Why do they hold onto the scoresheets for weeks and weeks? My solution is so simple.....Ask every one who enters to send a self-addressed stamped envelope along with their entry. All someone has to do is stuff the scoresheets in the envelope and put them in the mail. You would be getting your scores back in days instead of weeks.

It took me about two weeks. Pretty timely really but probably depends Im shure, as others have stated it varies. Its a great experience to get feedback, I was going to enter another comp(more local) but I got lazy about testing my aging homebrews and ended up not entering, I regret it but I was drilling through my pipeline to find one I was more "proud of" worth entering.
Its funny the beer I entered was a strain I washed which turned out infected(got great feedback,33 score) but I managed to save all my batches I harvested the yeast from by refrigerating and keeping an eye on them,all of them saved and drank and Im currently having my last Golden mild which turned infected,only became overcarbonated. YOu can tell they are fine when you open them but after a minute you see the yeast breaking up and carbonating heavily,so I pour them quick before they foam. Only one that sucked was my Arrogant bastard clone it was great first few months but then just became a carbonated mess after a few more and I think Im about to kill one of those overcarbed bastards. Edit: Having it. It doesnt suck,its kind of weird though/like half belgiany I did use wlp005 yeast which made it different to begin with. Ill go with its unique,just not great maybe.

Phunhog said:
I don't understand why it takes so long to get comp results back! Usually the day of the contest they know who all the winners are. Why do they hold onto the scoresheets for weeks and weeks? My solution is so simple.....Ask every one who enters to send a self-addressed stamped envelope along with their entry. All someone has to do is stuff the scoresheets in the envelope and put them in the mail. You would be getting your scores back in days instead of weeks.

I think the delay is because the completions are run by volunteers who have jobs and families. They have to give those 2 priority over the competition.

I think the delay is because the completions are run by volunteers who have jobs and families. They have to give those 2 priority over the competition.

I am sure they have other priorities BUT remember people PAY to enter these competitions at anywhere from 6-10 dollars per entry. That doesn't even include shipping. I figure if I just dropped anywhere from 30-50 dollars to have my beers judged the least they can do is send me my scoresheets in a timely manner. That is why I suggested the SASE idea....can't be too hard to stuff some envelopes and drop them off at the post office.

...can't be too hard to stuff some envelopes and drop them off at the post office.

(can't be too hard) X 700 or 800 entries! Just keeping everything organized is a huge job... returning score sheets is at least a few minutes per entry by the time you document and verify everything....DONE HUNDREDS of times!

seems easy, but the reality is organizing and running competitions and events is really hard to do well.
Instead of complaining...volunteer! Every event I have ever been around has welcomed more volunteers!

Running events is usually a thankless job... give a shout out to those that do it well...offer a hand to those that need help.

Back