Rebottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tusch

Reaction score
Ok so here's the deal. I bottles my first cyser and first batch of JAOM several months ago. This was a long time ago relative to the amount of knowledge I have gotten, mainly from this forum. In my homebrewing ignorance, I bottled a bit early. This lead to too corks popping and a fair amount of sediment in all of the remaining bottles.

Now to the question, how do people feel about rebottling. I could allow all the bottles to stand up right long enough for the sediment to settle to the bottom, then siphon from these into a bottling bucket and right back into the bottles. I expect there may be a bit of loss due to racking, but is it worth the risk of oxidation, loss of brew etc?

I say drink it and drink it quick! You will never get the proper level of carbonation by trying to re-carb partially carbonated stuff. Additionally when it carbonates it makes more sediement so you aren't going to solve that problem.

Well, if you have corks popping out, you have to do something. But, if that's stopped, then I'd leave it be. Yes, you have some sediment in your bottles, but you can always decant to serve the mead. That will also allow the carbonation to come out of solution.

If you really, really, want to rebottle, you can. I'd open them, and every so gently siphon them to a bottling bucket in which you've dissolved one campden tablet per gallon of mead in a little water. Then rebottle. But if it was up to me, I'd leave it. Just drink it, and realize that experience is the best teacher of all.

Yeah I figured as much Yoop, always appreciate your experience and advice :)

Everything I have made since these first two "experiments" have been much more by the book. I currently have 4 1 gallon batches aging and 1 6 gallon batch in secondary.

Latest posts

Back