Man, I do love being on the East Coast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popecrisco

Reaction score
Not ragging on the West coast..

I grew up in north Texas, and for the first 5-6 years of my drinking experience the only real "local" beers that i could buy easily would be Shiner, i could get a decent variety of west coast beers, but a lot of non BMC beer would have to be imports.

I moved to Atlanta 6 years ago and have been in beer variety heaven. the whole SE corridor seems to just be chock-a-block of small breweries, from N Florida to upstate NY. I cant say what the beer culture in TX is now(it might also help that I am more socially active, but anyways) , but I never had so many people be so well informed and interested in a local, micro and craft beer scene.

Yeah, but you have to wait until 1:00 PM to watch football. Grew up on the East Coast. Have vowed to never cross the Mississippi River ever again.

There are a few good beer bars in the DFW region (ginger man, flying saucer) and even a brewery in Ft. Worth (Rahr & Sons) but they are few and far between. Central Texas and even Houston have a much better selection.

I'm glad you gave a shout out to upstate NY. We have tons of good breweries throughout NY state. Excited for tapNY this weekend!!!

Yeah screw that, i have my beer and cornflakes while watching kickoff at 9am its great :D

This! And it goes all day - sometimes till after 11p at night. And there are tons of new breweries sprouting up all over the Left Coast.

But, it's a good time to be alive and part of the brewing culture if you ask me - regardless of which coast you're on!

Cheers! :mug:

Who waits until noon. Having the games start at 1pm just means a lot more beer at the tailgates. :mug:

-Stanley

This is an accurate statement.

Having grown up in NC and now living in CO for 12 years, I miss the rowdy tailgates in the southeast. Of course, the amount of beer in CO is amazing, so I'm fine with the tradeoff, but I do love going back for some games in the motherland a couple times a year.

Tailgates in the SEC or waaaay better beer selection outside the SEC? Tough choice.

To the OP, the south's way behind compared to out west in terms of brewing. Dont get me wrong, there are some excellent ones down there, but it's just the overall numbers. When I moved to CO from Tampa FL I was amazed at the number of breweries/brew pubs/etc out here compared to the South

Tailgates in the SEC or waaaay better beer selection outside the SEC? Tough choice.

To the OP, the south's way behind compared to out west in terms of brewing. Dont get me wrong, there are some excellent ones down there, but it's just the overall numbers. When I moved to CO from Tampa FL I was amazed at the number of breweries/brew pubs/etc out here compared to the South

Ya I am so put off by the lack of places to go around here. If I talk to non-brewers about wanting to find a good place I am told I should try out World of Beers. I did once and I have to say, I will not go back there again. I was so put off by the lack of knowledge they had there.

So who wants to loan me the money to start a real craft brewery to take on TBBC? :mug:

OH and I will settle for options three: Tailgates in the SEC with homebrew. :mug:

-Stanley

Funny having moved to VA from WA state a year and a half ago, I find there is a paucity of breweries and it seems they are just waking up to craft brewing here. And good beer is waaaay more expensive. I guess it's all relative. I use to live in New England though and I they have a pretty good brewing culture although it's sad to see all the little breweries being bought up by bigger companies.

Ya I am so put off by the lack of places to go around here. If I talk to non-brewers about wanting to find a good place I am told I should try out World of Beers. I did once and I have to say, I will not go back there again. I was so put off by the lack of knowledge they had there.

So who wants to loan me the money to start a real craft brewery to take on TBBC? :mug:

OH and I will settle for options three: Tailgates in the SEC with homebrew. :mug:

-Stanley

Cigar City makes good beer. But the "atmosphere" there is a diff vibe than the breweries/pubs I go to out here. I dont know what it is, it's just "different" there. Dont get me wrong, I like them a lot, but craft beer unfortunately in the SE is just a little slower than out west. I would attribute it mostly to the laws that are in place/slowly being changed. I mean, freakin Alabama still sees homebrewing as illegal!

Central Texas has a pretty nice craft beer scene right now.

I agree. Texas has a steady growing craft beer scene. It is still not on par with west or east coast but it is a heck of a lot better than most places.

Austin has: 512, Live Oak, Black Star, Independence.
DFW: Rahr & Sons
Houston: Saint Arnold's
Conroe: Southern Star
Blanco: Real Ale

Then there is always Shiner although not spectacular is a better than BMC beer.

Back