Fizzy but flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgarrett

Reaction score
I've searched around the forum for a bit but couldn't find a related topic. Sorry if this has been hashed out before.

I cracked open a couple of bottles from my newest batch. It's a Honey Weizen kit from Northern Brewer. Its my fifth batch and the first one I've had any real problem with.

Its been aging in the bottle for about 5 weeks. I got a nice sound when opening it, but when pouring I got a rapid and LOUD fizzing head. Almost like pouring a soda. The head quickly disappeared and the beer was flat. Taste was fine, but completely flat. Just to be sure, I opened a second bottle and poured it into a different glass. Same exact problem.

So... Did I screw up the boil? Does it need to age longer? What happened?

Any help would be appreciated. I've had to resort to drinking a couple Yuenglings tonight.

At what temp are the bottles sitting? If it's under 70F then you need to place them closer to the heat...i.e. water heater, for a time.

How much priming sugar did you use? Better yet, what type of brew are we talking about?

I've had brews sitting for 6-8 months that never carbonated until I placed them in the fridge...go figure...:D

Get back to us so we can try to narrow down your problem.

It's a Honey Weizen kit from Northern Brewer and the bottles are stored in the basement and this time of year the temp averages around 68d.

However, after looking through the links beer4breakfast provided I had a horrible thought. I quick check of the kitchen confirmed it.

Jet Dry. Right there under the kitchen sink.

Ugh. Looks like I need to have a talk with the wife. I'm thinking she put my glassware through the dishwasher.

That must be it. Surely its not my brewing thats the problem... it must be the wife's fault!

Looks like it was the Jet Dry. Hand washed the glass and the brew came out just fine. Amazing what that crap can do to a beer!

Thanks for the help/suggestions....

Back