Really strange off flavor in IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
hey guys,

Brewed this beginning of December, just tapped the keg lastnight. It tastes great initially, but after your sip, you get a really strange citrusy, cleaner taste that is almost minty in a way. You can also smell it. I don't understand where this came from or where I went wrong. I probably have over 200 batches under my belt and have had a flavor like this. I've never had problems with infections or oxidation. Here's the recipe (grain weights are from memory, so they probably won't give you the OG if you plugged it into a calculator)

10lbs 2-row
1.5lbs C40
0.5lbs munich

1oz magnum @ 60
6oz of citra, amarillo and centennial spread throughout the last 20 min of the boil. (2oz of each hop, 6oz total)
1.5oz dry hop centennial 10 days.

S-05 yeast, re-hydrated.
Added O2 before pitching yeast, fermented at 64F for first 3 days and slowly ramped up to 70F over another 11 days. Never saw a sign of infection.

OG 1.065, FG 1.015.

I naturally carbed with sugar in the keg. The sample did look cloudier then expected, but I don't think this is just the taste of yeast....

A citrusy, clean taste sounds normal for an IPA. Can't really comment on the mint you're sensing. None of those hops are minty. Perhaps more conditioning time will help to smooth the beer out for you.

4.25% Munich and 12.5% C40??

For an IPA, 4.25% C40 and 12.5% Munich (or less) would have been better.

Would tha taste possibly be tart, not minty? To me Centennial give a tartness, but Amarillo and Citra dont.

And Bob, my wife makes me brew a blonde ale with that much C10 in it!! She just loves that sweetness in her beers.

Like I said, recipe amounts are from memory, I don't have my notebook in front of me at work. I just know I had 2-row, C40 and munich, so I could have that reversed.

It is a clean taste at first, but then you get a "cleaner" (as in chemical cleaner) taste as the beer leaves your tongue. You sense it at the back/sides of your tongue.

And Bob, my wife makes me brew a blonde ale with that much C10 in it!! She just loves that sweetness in her beers.

Yeah, but this is an IPA... and Yooper will kill me for this, but we are not party chicks with sweet tooths who drink Strawberry Daquiris in Cancun. We are men who drink beer! :mug:

Back