Does This Sound Right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
I just bought my first keg, regulator and CO2 tank. My LHBS owner advised me to set my regulator for 20-25 psi, force carb the keg, shake vigorously for a minute or so, and then to disconnect the tubing, regulator and CO2 tank. He suggested I do this once a day for a few days, and then to lower my pressure down and serve after a week. He suggested I do this in case there was any leak in my line that might drain my CO2 tank if I left it on. Does this sound right? It seems to fly in the face of what I've read.
-Ben

That's not a bad way to force carb if you have your gas lines ties up dispensing other kegs, but it shouldn't be "because the lines might leak" (if they leak, what are you supposed to do when it comes to dispensing the beer?)

Check thoroughly for leaks, hook up the keg at serving pressure, and after the same week you'll have carbonated beer.

That's a "high" speed force carb method. Some of us do that to get the brew ready quickly. If you got the time, usually about a week, just put it on the gas, set regulator at required setting, see the charts, and let it sit in the kegerator. I usually set mine around 8 to 10. That is also the serving pressure using the cobra taps for my American ales. When I go wheat, I have to crank up the CO2 gas a little more. They are usually all well carbed within a week. The main thing to this is to know that force carbing WILL NOT speed up conditioning. That is an element of time, period. You can't speed up mother nature unless your the big three and use the beechwood aging process.

Back