Props for Chocolate Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciliorozo

Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of Sam Adams, though I like that I can order them over the big 3 at a lot of restaurants. I just have to give them props for their Chocolate Bock beer. Anyone else try this?

Last year they tried to sell it in a bomber for ~$14, and I just couldn't bring myself to buy it though I looked at it several times. This year they released it in their winter variety pack (which I usually buy for the Fezziwig) and I must say it is quite nice. Rich, malty, choclately and not sweet. A job well done,I wish I could just buy this and Fezziwig without the other bottles.

Cheers Jim!

I don't drink much sam adams anymore, but a friend of mine brought over the 12 pack you speak of. I tried one of them and I have to agree. It's a very good beer.

I'm drinking my first bottle of this right now, and wow! I would love to pair some of this with some nice chocolates. I've been searching for a clone recipe, but have come up short. If anyone knows how to embark such chocolate flavor in a beer, please let me know.

I'm drinking my first bottle of this right now, and wow! I would love to pair some of this with some nice chocolates. I've been searching for a clone recipe, but have come up short. If anyone knows how to embark such chocolate flavor in a beer, please let me know.

+ ten thousand! I would also like to know!!

I was happily surprised to see this repackaged as 12oz bottles in the winter pack, but is it available as a stand alone anymore? I enjoyed it so much that I was buying it often in bombers, now I hope to not need buy a variety pack to get it. Put me on the list of people that would love a clone recipe for this wonder.

I also bought the winter pack and was definitely impressed with the chocolate bock. Not so much with the porter that also came with it, way too bubbly and sweet. I don't mind sam adams though, its not the best, but compared to all of the usual crap bars tend to have, its worth drinking. Luckily a lot of the places I frequent, at least have fat tire though, which I always seem to enjoy. I tried the sam adams winter lager on tap and it wasn't bad either.

Wow. I'm probably the only one, but I absolutely hated this beer. I've tried it twice recently and both times it went down the drain. IMO, the beer is over carbonated, has a watery mouthfeel, no head, and tastes like a coca-cola with Hershey's syrup added.

The holiday porter wasn't anything great either. Drank the bottle, but wouldn't have another one.

Wow. I'm probably the only one, but I absolutely hated this beer. I've tried it twice recently and both times it went down the drain. IMO, the beer is over carbonated, has a watery mouthfeel, no head, and tastes like a coca-cola with Hershey's syrup added.

The holiday porter wasn't anything great either. Drank the bottle, but wouldn't have another one.

You are definitely not alone here. I thought this stuff was disgusting. I think you pretty much hit the flavors on the head....tasted artificial and too sugary sweet for me.

The whole holiday mixed case was a disappointment to me.... Old Fezziwig, Winter Lager, White Ale and the Chocolate Bock had some spices that really didn't need to be in there. I feel like the base recipes were OK but got ruined with all of the extra junk in it. The holiday porter was the most drinkable (though not really a stand-out) beer in the case.

I liked the Chocolate Bock so far the best, the Old Fezzy was also pretty good. Of course the standard boston lager is OK also. I cant say I liked any of the rest really. The holiday porter was gross, and the white ale wasnt far behind. Winter lager had to go down the drain.

Back