Gluten-Free Beer????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugimon

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My wife and I just found out some very very very depressing news. My wife has a food allergy/disease called Celiac Sprue and the short of it is....she CANNOT have wheat based products. So........that means NO MORE BEER.........for her :rockin: I have heard of some gluten free beer, but they are sold in remote locations like Oregon and Illinois, and being in Cambodia that does us no good.

What I would like to know is if anyone has or knows of a recipe for Non-Wheat beer?

Thanks for your time.

Peace Sugimon

If you have some health food or natural foods stores, you might want to check there as well, I've seen some gluten free beers for sale around here at Wild Oats.

If you are going to start homebrewing GF beer for her, you'll need to get a completely different set up for her beers. You can't guarentee that you'll get all of the gluten out of the mills, hoses, the boil pot, bottles, fermenters, sponges, brushes, etc.

sugimon said:
she CANNOT have wheat based products. So........that means NO MORE BEER.........for her

Barley is not wheat based. Why can't she have beer?

AB has announced a new gluten free beer made of sorghum. Initial marketing in organic and health food stores and restaurants. Turns out 3% of the population has celiac disease.

sugimon said:
What I would like to know is if anyone has or knows of a recipe for Non-Wheat beer?

My three year old has Celiacs and our pediatrician wants us all to get tested. So I started looking for beer alternatives just in case I too have it. I haven't tried the stuff yet but this place sells malted sorgum. The yeast packs often come with wheat in them as well so you'll have to do some culturing or find some other source of yeast.... how about a Sorgum/Honey Lambic? :rockin:

If you give it a try be sure to post back... what the SG and OG of sorghum? I plan on buying some soon anyway just to experiment... so if you don't post back I will by the summer. (I'm admittedly a little slack when it comes to promptness!)

Good Luck,
kalTOrak

I've been doing this: take 7 or 8 cups of husked millet (Available from grain & feed stores - very cheap!) and make African beer. Do not use unhusked millet.
Soak it for 24 hours, then rinse it every eight hours until it sprouts. Roast the sprouted grain at 170 for an hour, and up the heat until it turns the brown you want it. Boil it and take out the water for your wort and keep adding water to the boil until you have a 5 gal. batch.
Add 5 or 6 cups of sugar, let it cool (Use ice) and add your chosen gluten-free yeast that has foamed in a cup of sugar water when it is all room temp.
Add boiled ginger and/or juniper berry water for those who have arthritis, it helps!
Ferments in about four days, then bottle with priming sugar one tsp. per 18 oz. bottle, and then decant to another bottle before drinking. High in vitamin B and very used on the African Continent.
When so roasted, it is a deep caramel flavor but the added ingredients help. If you can afford the shipping, use sorghum or tapioca syrup instead of sugar. Whatever hops and yeast you choose will also enhance the flavor.
Prosit!

Latest posts

Back