Babine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celestyal

Reaction score
Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum, wasn't sure where to put it. But i was curious about babine, a beer made from avacados. I've heard both that it uses the meat or the leaves. Was curious if anybody has heard of it and would know where to find a good reciept (sp?) for it. Thanks.:ban:

This is news to me, but I do love avacados.

There is a French movie (2008) of the same name, but I get the feeling that's not what you're looking for. I hope you find some more info though, it sounds like it might be good. I think. Maybe. Hopefully.

hmmm, will continue research....
will post what i find but if anybody knows anything please post.

All google nets is sort of a circular discussion that starts with the same question, then someone mentions that alton said it on the good eats avacado show. And that it is supposedly from Zaire, and it's made from the leafs. But that's as far as any discussions I could find have gone....

It may just be one of those internet brewing rumors that probably will go nowhere. But it sounds interesting.

Our wiki even has pretty much the same scant info...
Starchy foods, such as potatoes, cassava, manioc, and other starchy vegetables are also used to make some forms of indigenous fermented beverages. In a pinch, almost any plant material can form the basis of a fermented beverage; one example is Babine, a traditional beverage made in Zaire from the leaves of the avocado tree.

Back