Staten Island Homebrewers Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My name is Sonny, been brewing for almost 7 years now. Unfortunately the only active SI club folded a little while back but there's plenty of people brewing on the Island who like to BS and get together every so often. Hopefully we can get something going again soon.

Well we can judge by how popular this gets whether a club is worth it. After the last attempt, I have a lot of reservations. Mark gave that one his all, got a TON of good press, and it still never panned out.

Hey my name is Phil and I am a Staten Island home brewer. I brew with HBT member, SeanGC and are are in the process of organizing a local club. I think he's been talking to mikey and a few other guys. My e-mail is [email protected] if you guys want to b.s.

Nice to "meet" you. I'm interested to see what Sean's plans are. It would be great if we could get something going on SI, but I really think there's some obstacles to overcome. Mark Zap told me Sean contacted him recently about getting something started.

Hey Airborne guy. Yea, phil and I have been working out some of the logistics, such as when and where to meet up. I would, personally, like to have a preliminary open discussion with a few of Staten Island's seasoned (for lack of a better word) home brewers first, just to prepare the group to accomodate all of their needs.

We have about 6-7 people interested in meeting up initially, including the founder of St. George Barley and Taps Craft beer club. You are more than welcomed to attend. I will post the details of this prelim meeting once they've been worked out. Hopefully for the end of this month. After we've worked out the club details, we'll open it up to anyone who is interested.

A website and forum have been set up and installed, waiting to be populated with information.

Have you thought about asking Ken at Killmeyer's? I always figured he would be amenable to letting us meet there.

I think where went sent wrong with the NBHS was trying to have a brew meeting every month. Its hard for a lot of people to block off an entire day for that.

Well, ideally, spreading the love around and holding meetings at different venues would be great. Killmeyer's, Adobe Blues, The Cup, Baystreet Salon, Tottenville Tavern etc. However, constantly changing the meeting location could create confusion, which is why this initial meetup would help determine the best way of going about this. Maybe we could start at Killmeyers, if it's best for everyone.

And I agree, mandatory monthly meetings can be difficult for everyone to attend. That is why I would love to create a strong online component to the group that would keep everyone connected, regardless if they attend meetings in person.

We're also working on member incentives. We already established a commitment from Bitter & Esters in Brooklyn, who agreed to give our members an in-store discount.

When are you available this month to discuss?

This is what i been thinking about just ideas would like to get feed back on everything
Objective

Some objective i would like to focus on is

Brewing techniques, promotion of the home brewing hobby, education about beer, expanding brewing horizons, teaching newcomers the act of home brewing. Would like the club to be open to everyone from people never brewed a beer to award winning brews. I talked to the people at the hilton on the island about having meetings there. There is a couple options from 1- 20 people we can use a private room in my restaurant for free if we order food. Could get a small event space for a couple bucks and we do not need to order food. This is just one options as of right now still going to look for other spaces. We can do club brews meetings in member's yards i know we can use my as offen as the club would like. Question is dues, To start a lot of people may ask why dues what is it for "Expenses for the club may be rental of meeting space, cost of commercial beer and food, supplies club brewing sessions" Dues can be done monthly or yearly. Maybe with yearly dues you get a club t-shirt again all just ideas as of right now.

For meet we could do...
Organize homebrew competitions
Demonstrate techniques of brewing for new comers
Home brew class " always something to learn when homebrewing doesn't mater how long you been doing it"
Taste homebrews
Exchange recipes
Compare brews
Just a couple of points that i think i meeting should have. Not going to list all right now

I would start a website/blog for the club even could start a small forum where member's could chat, where information about the club and events that are going on could be posted. we need a way to keep the club on members minds like monthly or weekly newsletters about the club, meeting, events. People lose interest in things that are not on there mind. Their is a lot of stuff that can be done as a club.

This stuff is just some ideas i been messing with. I know this post is a big mess of stuff . But what i want to do is put together a club for people that love home brewing like i do place where people can learn new things, where we can grow as homebrewers. Where we can try to grow the hobby on SI. I am willing to put in the work and the time to put together a great club. What do you think about all this. What are your ideas on a club

Take a look at what Sean put together. He had the same idea as you for a forum and website. Personally, I think we could use this forum effectively, especially if Tx sets up the state forums.

One thing about dues: I'd be hesitant to collect dues until we know this thing is gonna work out and last. Especially considering there's gonna be some people who have dealt with prior clubs who might not be as optimistic.

Thedude00, you're a yr older than me. Where'd you go to highschool? I'm assuming you've been a Staten Islander for your entire life so it's a possibility we know eachother.

It is exciting to see a thread started today gaining so much momentum.

For starters, I want to show you guys something I've developed, with the help of Phil. The name of the group we were interested in starting is called "Pour Standards." We managed to secure the web address roughly a month ago (http://www.pourstandards.com), and I began developing a website for it. In addition to the website, we installed forum boards that we could begin using once we're all ready. The logo was designed by myself.

thedude00 has some pretty great suggestions. What is everyone's schedule for the end of February, beginning of March? I'm free pretty much everyday after 5pm, and available all day on Sat and Sun. Let's meet up soon and get this ball rolling.

Take a look at what Sean put together. He had the same idea as you for a forum and website. Personally, I think we could use this forum effectively, especially if Tx sets up the state forums.

One thing about dues: I'd be hesitant to collect dues until we know this thing is gonna work out and last. Especially considering there's gonna be some people who have dealt with prior clubs who might not be as optimistic.

everything just ideas. Dues is the last think i am worry about. I want to set up a club that people know that is going to be there, a club where we share the love of the hobby. Would like to see some thing a little more set up then just a group of guys getting together once in a while shooting **** about beer. There was a great club in vegas meeting,website,event and so on. Every meeting or newsletter or event you learned something and had a great time doing it. Want to see something like that out here

Thedude00, you're a yr older than me. Where'd you go to highschool? I'm assuming you've been a Staten Islander for your entire life so it's a possibility we know eachother.

It is exciting to see a thread started today gaining so much momentum.

For starters, I want to show you guys something I've developed, with the help of Phil. The name of the group we were interested in starting is called "Pour Standards." We managed to secure the web address roughly a month ago (http://www.pourstandards.com), and I began developing a website for it. In addition to the website, we installed forum boards that we could begin using once we're all ready. The logo was designed by myself.

thedude00 has some pretty great suggestions. What is everyone's schedule for the end of February, beginning of March? I'm free pretty much everyday after 5pm, and available all day on Sat and Sun. Let's meet up soon and get this ball rolling.

Sean i was born on Staten island lived in dogan hills for 16 years went to PS52 and IS2 then moved to Las Vegas for high schools years some of collage then move back to the island. What schools did you go to.

The site you have set up looks great love the logo like i said in my last post think a club forum is a great idea you on the same page as me

Everything i posted was just some ideas, some stuff i would like to see in a club i think with some work and time we could have a great club on SI may not be easy but i am willing to put the time in. Any time after 5pm works for me M-F. S-S anytime just let me know

Loving see this idea gaining so much momentum.

My name is Mike been brewing for 5 years and would be interested in a HBC on Staten Island...... meeting at Kilmeyers would work for me I work right on Sharotts Rd.

One more thing like to add if everyone has a web cam and has a google account they have something call hang outs that a big group of people can get together on maybe if we all cant get together in person in the next couple weeks we could use this to get the ball rolling

I work for dsny so my schedule is pretty hectic. I have off mon feb20th, sun feb 26th, and weds 29th for this month

Presidents day is next week, and I know a lot of offices are closed. Short notice but to grab a few drinks and bang out some of these details might not be a bad idea.

Mikey and Sonny, what are your thoughts?

Ok so as of right now, Myself, DrPhilGood, Airborneguy and thedude00 are available for next monday. How about bubba and mikeysab?

I know it's short notice, but this isn't an official club meeting.

Also, I will set up the forum boards tonight and have it ready for after our first preliminary meeting. This way we can continue our discussions in an environment where everyone could participate.

I like all these ideas. I can host something during the warmer months for about 15 to 20 people. I think meeting at killmeyers is a mighty fine idea. I'm off Monday as well, so thats fine for me

Sounds great. I'll see if Mark in interested and shoot a text to Capt Kirkles (Kirk). I'm willing to be the notetaker if you guys want. I'll bring a pen and a book.

Thanks Airborne. I'm still going to email Marc, as I mentioned I would in our previous emails. You know, just as a formality lol.

looks like we're nearing 8 attendees. Maybe we should cap it at 10 for the time being? This way it'll allow us to iron out some of the kinks.

And if you'd like to take notes, that's fine by me. I began working on an agenda roughly a week ago, so I'll bring that along.

EDIT: I'll reach out to Ken tomorrow as well, give him the heads up.

Sounds great.

Edit: saw you mentioned 5. A little later would be better for me. My daughter will be sleeping by the time I get home so I'd like to spend a little time with her before leaving.

Sure, whatever works for everyone. I'll be there at 5, but that's only to get a few in before the meeting lol.

Thanks for the heads up Sonny. I'm kirk, been brewing for almost 2 years. Great to see another club trying to take off. It was sad to see the club go under, Mark did some great things with it. (Hope to see more of Brewing As Art). Monday should work for me, around 6.

Mark can't attend, but we will keep him informed.

Quick Question. Where does everyone live? I live in Grasmere on Hylan Blvd.

Back