I Broke my auto-syphon. any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do it the old fashioned way... suck on the end of your racking tube....

(unless you are super concerned about sanitation)....

soak your tube in some starsan, fill the tube with some water that has been boiled. Hold your thumb over one end and stick the other in the wort. let go of the other end over a small bucket to flush the water out and then move it to what ever you are filling.

Or... You could just suck on it... :)

Dip your SWMBO's turkey baster in starsan and start the siphon by sticking it in the end of the hose

I used the turkey baster solution for my fishtanks when I realized the autosiphon was a pain in the butt. I've moved that solution over to the beer.

(note: The fishtank turkey baster stays in the fishtank accessories box. The beer turkey baster stays in the beer accessories bucket. The turkey turkey baster stays in a drawer. No chance of mixup. ;))

I've done it without any problems... Though I used it as an excuse to take a shot of the good vodka.. for sanatary reasons..... really!

jfliv said:
do it the old fashioned way... suck on the end of your racking tube....

(unless you are super concerned about sanitation)....

you first soak a small piece of paper napkin with vodka, place it over the end of the hose and suck.

it takes 3 seconds

Ya, the look on your faces was pretty priceless. You guys looked like I had just drawn a moustache on the Mona Lisa. The thing I was trying to impress on you guys most that day was to relax. You're brewing beer, not doing neurosurgury. Getting all wiggy about stuff takes the fun out of it. If you come up against a problem figure out the best way to handle it and move on. Like when we didn't hit our sacrification temp, we just did a quick decoction to raise the temp and kept going. No sweat, no worries. If things don't work out exactly the way you have planned; the temp is a few degrees high or low, you're short a pint of sparge water, you didn't notice at the store that the hops you bought are 5.1% AA instead of the 5.6 the recipe called for, etc, RDWHAHB. The beer will be fine in the end. It might be slightly different than the last time you made it, it might have 6.5%ABV instead of 6.6. So what? You aren't Budwieser. It don't matter if the beer isn't EXACTLY the same every time.

I've never owned an auto siphon. I've sucked on the end of the racking tube for every batch of beer or wine I've made for the past 20 + years. In that time I've had only one spoiled batch. Choose where you want to put your anxiety. For me, brewing and drinking beer is about relaxing. I've got enough stuff in my professional life that I need to worry about, I don't need to worry about the fun stuff. I know some guys get into making super dooper sculptures and I've toyed with the idea but I'm worried that it would be too much like work. You saw my down and dirty system. I makes damn good beer and it cleans up in a jiffy. Works for me, your milage may vary.

Back