Mix or not to mix/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manbrandon28

Reaction score
I have a batch of mead going it has
15lbs of clover honey
4 or so gallons of spring water to equal about 5 gallons of must
i used 1 packet of lavlin d 47
few teaspoons of nutrient
few teaspoons of energizer
My airlock started bubbling within 6 hours it is still bubbling 3 days later once every 2 seconds, i noticed about a inch of settleing at the bottom it is light in color not dark colored honey,i think it is dead yeast??? SHould i mix it up and try and wake it back up, ive heard not to mix and ive heard you have to. Any comments. Thanks.

I have a batch of mead going it has
15lbs of clover honey
4 or so gallons of spring water to equal about 5 gallons of must
i used 1 packet of lavlin d 47
few teaspoons of nutrient
few teaspoons of energizer
My airlock started bubbling within 6 hours it is still bubbling 3 days later once every 2 seconds, i noticed about a inch of settleing at the bottom it is light in color not dark colored honey,i think it is dead yeast??? SHould i mix it up and try and wake it back up, ive heard not to mix and ive heard you have to. Any comments. Thanks.
Yes.....stir it.

It'll be yeast sediment and possibly other solids dropping out.

The stirring action at the early stage of fermentation the stirring is to add air/O2 to help with yeast development but it also brings any sediment back into solution, creating nucleation points for the carbonic acid to connect to making bubbles of gaseous CO2. So if your fermenter is a carboy type any stirring should be careful, slow and gentle to prevent eruption.

It's regularly carried out from SG to the 1/3rd sugar break.

FB, why stop at 1/3? We stir vigorously at the begining as you suggest but stir every day and only stop the day before planning to rack. Why not keep stirring the whole time? Is this something mead specific? WVMJ

FB, why stop at 1/3? We stir vigorously at the begining as you suggest but stir every day and only stop the day before planning to rack. Why not keep stirring the whole time? Is this something mead specific? WVMJ
Well as I understand it, not only does the air/O2 help with yeast development but also helps it produce more CO2 and less alcohol, whereas allowing it to go into the anaerobic phase of fermentation gets it to convert sugars to more/mostly alcohol, but with a nice healthy yeast colony.....

Of course some aerate to the 1/2 break or further, but its generally recommended to stop at the 1/3 break.

If you technique/method differs and your batches still come out good, with plenty of alcohol etc, and not signs of possible oxidative damage then great, run with it...

If you airate too close to the end you will have a bunch of dissolved oxygen in your mead. Worse than a lot o surface space for o idizing your mead.

I keep thinking that since there is an active fermentation going on and the whole must is saturated in CO2 you can stir until your arm drops off past the 1/2 point and not be able to introduce enough oxygen to make the least bit of difference, but stirring gently to raise the yeast off of the bottom and get everything mixed during the whole process is not the same as whipping it up into a froth like you do on day 1? WVMJ

thanks fellas, but i have another ? i gave my must a twirl inside the carboy, made a little bubbley mess through the airlock but not bad any worry about germs getting into the brew, and now there are visibley a lot less bubbles and a lot slower bubbling through my airlock? I know the airlock isnt a solid indicator of fermenting but if the activity has slowed down it tells me the fermenting has slowed down after mixing my carboy. Its in a 68 to 70 degree dark room. 1 packet of Lavlin d-47 to 5 gallons of must. Should i add something or just stop fingering it and let it chill for a month???

thanks fellas, but i have another ? i gave my must a twirl inside the carboy, made a little bubbley mess through the airlock but not bad any worry about germs getting into the brew, and now there are visibley a lot less bubbles and a lot slower bubbling through my airlock? I know the airlock isnt a solid indicator of fermenting but if the activity has slowed down it tells me the fermenting has slowed down after mixing my carboy. Its in a 68 to 70 degree dark room. 1 packet of Lavlin d-47 to 5 gallons of must. Should i add something or just stop fingering it and let it chill for a month???

You should be all right, just wipe everything down with a sanitized cloth, refill the airlock and relax. Everyone of us has done that at some point.

Stop frigging with it and let it do it's thing.

Back