Free Online Beer Chemistry Course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeptrey

Reaction score
Boomer!

OU is now providing a free open online Chemistry of Beer course. Sounds pretty cool. Thought I'd share the link. They are trying out these open courses for free to the public and if you are an OU student some may count as college credit.
https://janux.ou.edu/landing/#CHEM4970-detail

I guess the course doesn't start until 1/13/14...pretty slick though.

I may try to keep up with this course. I'm actually AT OU right now, but I don't have the chem prereqs mentioned.

How does this work, logistically? Do they post new course material each week and the student can access it when their schedule allows?

Please excuse my ignorance..they didn't have online courses 1,000 years ago when I was in college.

I can't see a downside to signing up for this.

Cool, I've got a degree in Biotechnology so this sounds like fun even if you don't get any credits.

How does this work, logistically? Do they post new course material each week and the student can access it when their schedule allows?

Please excuse my ignorance..they didn't have online courses 1,000 years ago when I was in college.

I can't see a downside to signing up for this.

I believe so. The "Janux" platform is being touted on campus as OU has never taught an online course through this platform.

I've taken a couple courses online. Some use actual video lectures and handouts while others just use a Flash-driven slideshow and interactive menus to teach.

Nompton said:
I believe so. The "Janux" platform is being touted on campus as OU has never taught an online course through this platform. I've taken a couple courses online. Some use actual video lectures and handouts while others just use a Flash-driven slideshow and interactive menus to teach.

I signed up. I'll see how it goes. I'm sure I'm starting behind the 8 ball, as I have no real chemistry background, but what the hell, you can't learn just sitting on your ass watching Sponge Bob, right?

Right on! :ban:
Anyone know if there is a limit on how many can join? I've never taken an online course so I might start and then hate it as much as I did the rest of school and not log on again. Dont want to take a place that could be better used by someone else.

Signed up. Sounds like fun. I've always had an interest in chemistry and through my Navy training I have a pretty good grasp on chemistry concepts, though I don't have any organic chemistry experience as the course description indicates one would need.

-Jack- said:
Right on! :ban: Anyone know if there is a limit on how many can join? I've never taken an online course so I might start and then hate it as much as I did the rest of school and not log on again. Dont want to take a place that could be better used by someone else.

I am only ass uming that since it's an open class there wouldn't be a limit. I signed on and looked around seems like it's totally community driven. Kind of like a social media type class thing with some lectures and local guest brewers. I'm pretty stoked about it. I hope it isn't a major let down.

Here is the generic email they sent me for signing up. Not a whole lot of info.

Thank you for signing up for “Chemistry of Beer,” an open version of a popular course in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Oklahoma.

You are about to embark on a one-of-a-kind learning experience through Janux. More importantly, you are joining a true learning community built to connect, engage, and inspire all who wish to learn.

Feel free to spread the word around about the course by forwarding this email or sharing about it through social media. Encourage your friends to join, add them as a friend, and then form a study group on the platform.

If you are a current OU student, you have the option to enroll in this course for credit. Enroll at ozone.ou.edu with the corresponding course number: CHEM 4970.

Expect more information soon as we get closer to the course start date, January 13, 2014. Looking forward to connecting soon!

All the Best,

Dr. Mark Morvant
Professor, Department of Chemistry
University of Oklahoma

If you feel this email was sent in error, or this account was created without your consent, you may email [email protected].

I love the concept and signed up. Good looking out! I'm already enrolled in online courses (for business) but will do this in my "free" time. Really excited to learn!

I signed up, but it will be a struggle since I have no chemistry background

I'm not sure if I am more concerned about the science being over my head or that they will water it down too much for the masses, as it is a free course available to everyone.

I want to be able to follow it but I want to understand the chemistry when it's over.

mtnagel said:
Signed up. I have a chemistry degree, so hopefully that will be enough :)

We have help!!! The only thing I remember of Chem1 is the nerdy poem the instructor said "Johnny was a chemists son but Johnny is no more. What Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4". Which I know is sulphuric acid...I think.

We have help!!! The only thing I remember of Chem1 is the nerdy poem the instructor said "Johnny was a chemists son but Johnny is no more. What Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4". Which I know is sulphuric acid...I think.
Hehe. Not like I use this stuff in my day job though.

Your thing reminds me of this chemistry cat meme.

chemcat_h2o2.jpg

Nerd humor. I love it :)

When January gets here, should we start a "Chemistry Class" thread in General Chit Chat? Or will this be redundant with the forum of the class?

Ridire said:
When January gets here, should we start a "Chemistry Class" thread in General Chit Chat? Or will this be redundant with the forum of the class?
I say we keep this going until we know the actual class format. It may be beneficial to have a HBT pro help from time to time anyway.

Signed up. This looks great. I did online courses with University of Phoenix for some of the IT work I do now. Online courses are great!

Signed up. Any way to find out if there is a text book that goes with the course? It would be nice to have it before it starts. Of course I could see if I still have any of my chemistry books from the stone age.

I looked up the course on OU's enrollment website and the course does not have any textbooks listed as required. In fact, the course isn't even listed for the purpose of the bookstore procuring a textbook.

With open courses, the materials should be provided via the online teaching platform. If, however, the bookstore does update their catalog, I will pass along any and all textbooks required for the course... but again, I doubt one will be required.

Edit: For anyone interested, here is a link to Dr. Morvant's organic chem lectures.

Signing up now. From my experience with online courses, should be easy to keep up with a full time job. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the link!

Back