Hobgoblin II Carbonation Volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow_Day

Reaction score
I have an AG Orfy's Hobgoblin II in the primary for 3 weeks that I plan to bottle tomorrow. I am pretty new at brewing, this being my 4th batch. My others were all EdWort's Haus Pale Ale that turned out great.

I used around 4 oz. of priming sugar, (5 gal. batches), on the pale ales to achieve around 2.25 volumes of carbonation per Brewers Friend calculator. Orfy uses DME to carb in his recipe, and it appears he is going for about 1.75 volumes of CO2, (3.4 oz DME @ 60°).

What carbonation level should I shoot for in the Hobgoblin british brown ale? I would like to get as close to the bottled version of Hobgoblin as I can. I bought some of these after reading Orfy's recipe. WOW!:fro: It is the best brown ale I have ever had.

Okay, I went ahead with 2.0 volumes of CO2. Maybe that is more than the original, but I think more will be better than less.

I ran into an issue while bottling. I have been collecting Hobgoblin bottles to use for this brew because of their awesome bubbly shape. The bubble shape below the bottle lip starts just lower than my wing capper will reach, (the red one). The capper couldn't get a positive grip and slid up the bubble shape and just about bent my capper. I went ahead and used all the other bottles I had sanitized before finishing off with the Hobgoblin bottles.

It took a little more effort making sure the capper stayed down, but I got about 12 of them capped. I'll probably have to go get another capper, because this one is pretty loose now.

BTW, the Hobgoblin II tastes great. I think this one is going to finish out great.

IMG_0335.JPG

Back