RIMS Element density question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telejunkie

Reaction score
So yesterday did my first wet run on my new brew setup...things went really well and was hoping to brew tomorrow, but today got a "feedback" form from Amazon on my heating element. For some reason I thought I had ordered a low density element...but it said there "high density" Crap!
Okay so I estimated density if running this thing full bore would be 88W/inch (1500W, and the length is 8", plus fold) unless if I'm misreading it and the heat only exits from the tip of the element. Here is a link to the element i picked up:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LE89H6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Are scorching issues in my future if I go ahead with this or am I out like $20+ with shipping since I've got a grounding screw in it and an enclosure sealed up over the electrical?
Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a standard HWD element. They work fine for brewing. This is in the boil kettle, I assume?

Doh - just read subject. RIMS. Not my area of expertise but I do believe many are using HWD elements in RIMS.

Back