Cider yeast for beer ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fardy

Reaction score
Hello,

I found a partial mash recipe that calls for Wyeast 3766 Cider yeast.

Is it ok to use cider yeast to ferment beer ? Will that make a big difference in the fermentation process or the final taste ?

Thanks !

Haven't seen that. I would expect poor attenuation, but maybe that's what the recipe calls for.

The recipe's a Corona Clone. Does it make more sense or not at all ?

Here's the recipe:

.50 lbs. Crystal Malt 20°L
3 lbs. Dry Light Extract
2 lbs. Rice Flaked
1 lbs. Corn Sugar
2 oz. Saaz boiled 60 min.
1 oz Saaz boiled 15 min.
2 tsp irish moss (not included in calculations)
Yeast : WYeast 3766 Cider

Haven't seen that. I would expect poor attenuation, but maybe that's what the recipe calls for.

My experience has been just the opposite...it attenuates very well, but it will produce a lot of flavours that aren't necessarily what people are looking for in their ales. That said, I did a Schwarzbier recipe with a cider yeast at ale temps and it dried out nicely and imparted some really unique flavours. Worth playing with.

My experience has been just the opposite...it attenuates very well, but it will produce a lot of flavours that aren't necessarily what people are looking for in their ales. That said, I did a Schwarzbier recipe with a cider yeast at ale temps and it dried out nicely and imparted some really unique flavours. Worth playing with.

Yeah, but for a corona clone?

Also in that recipe there is flaked rice but nothing to convert the flaked rice which seems weird unless I`m missing something.

Yeah, but for a corona clone?

Also in that recipe there is flaked rice but nothing to convert the flaked rice which seems weird unless I`m missing something.

Right...that is really weird. I'm seeing the same problem you are. Flaked rice has to be mashed. Good call.

Back