Kegging My First Batch....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adpostel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just racked my first batch to a corny keg today. Just looking for some confirmation on whether I'm doing this right.

Beer (Mexican Cerveza) in primary for 3 1/2 weeks at 65F ambient
OG 11.4 Brix
FG 4.8 Brix
Refractometer Corrected ABV% 5.02

I cleaned and sanitized the keg thoroughly.
Then I racked the beer into the keg.
Sealed the keg
Pressurized keg to 9 psi
Removed gas line
Placed keg in keezer at 37F and raised the temp controller to 45F.

So after reading one of Bobby M's threads, should I go back to the house and connect a gas line to the keg. I normally keep my keezer serving pressure at around 11-12 psi at 37F.

I should just let the keg carbonate on its own time schedule at the 12 psi and check it in 10-14 days?

Is there anything bad about trying half a pint while it is carbonating?

Did you purge the keg after you sealed it?

If you have the ability, I usually force carb at 30 psi for 36hrs (in kegerator), then purge the head space, and attach the gas at serving pressure for the next 12 hrs. Then serve.

Did you purge the keg after you sealed it?

If you have the ability, I usually force carb at 30 psi for 36hrs (in kegerator), then purge the head space, and attach the gas at serving pressure for the next 12 hrs. Then serve.

Nothing wrong with trying beer while it's carbonating. Although it is much better once fully carded. So two things on the keg going. 1) right before siphoning beer to keg purge the keg with co2. Gets the oxygen out and 2) after fill the keg and sealing the lid let air out a few times just to make sure all oxygen is out. Also many people do advocate force carving but I find it better to let it carb over the next couple weeks. Typically I turn it up to 20 psi for the first day or so and then dial it down to serving pressure and let it sit 2-3 weeks. You'll find out in time which works best for you. Good luck and enjoy the beer.

No, I didn't purge after sealing, I basically sealed the lid on the keg, then attached the gas line to it and pressurized it to 9 psi, then removed the gas line and put into the keezer......

I don't blanket purge an empty keg but once I gently rack in my brew and seal the lid, I'll just pull on the safety vent valve and evacuate gas for 30 seconds or so. Should convert most of the headspace to CO2 and I've not had any tangible oxidation effects with this method

Well, one thing I did do, was when I sanitized the keg, I basically put in about 2 gallons of Star San/Water solution, then I shook the keg around to get it everywhere inside. Then I put my gas line on the keg, and a picnic tap and let the CO2 push all the Star San out into a bucket. Not sure if that accomplished anything more than just removing the solution, but then I took the lid off and racked into the keg.... Again, still not sure if that helped anything, but since I just did this today before work, I guess when I get home, the keg will be in the keezer at 45F, and I can go ahead and put the gas line back on it. Again, I keep my gas line around 12 psi, so I'll just let it sit there for a couple of weeks till its ready.

Also, is keeping the keg cold and with the gas line on it going to help the beer clear up a little? Beer is still looking a little cloudy. Just wondering.

I don't know if purging the keg when you get home will help at this point, but I'd do it anyway. Any oxygen is going to affect a light beer much quicker, more noticeably, than a dark. Also, I should think that that 9 psi, would start reducing quite quickly in a 45° keezer, as it dissolves into the beer. This would mean you may lose your airtight seal on the lid.

Yes, keeping the keg on gas in the cold will help to clear it faster.

I don't know if purging the keg when you get home will help at this point, but I'd do it anyway. Any oxygen is going to affect a light beer much quicker, more noticeably, than a dark. Also, I should think that that 9 psi, would start reducing quite quickly in a 45° keezer, as it dissolves into the beer. This would mean you may lose your airtight seal on the lid.

Yes, keeping the keg on gas in the cold will help to clear it faster.

Uh Oh, so lets assume it looses the pressure. But the airtight seal should still hold right? When I filled the keg with the Brewery Cleaner to clean it, it wasn't pressurized, but it didn't leak when I shook or turned it upside down, so would that mean it, at least, had an airtight seal, even though it wasn't a pressurized one? I'm just hoping no oxygen gets inside the keg to ruin my beer.

As soon as I get back home, I'll go pressurized it with the gas line on, and I'll purge it a little bit as well.

Uh Oh, so lets assume it looses the pressure. But the airtight seal should still hold right? When I filled the keg with the Brewery Cleaner to clean it, it wasn't pressurized, but it didn't leak when I shook or turned it upside down, so would that mean it, at least, had an airtight seal, even though it wasn't a pressurized one? I'm just hoping no oxygen gets inside the keg to ruin my beer.

As soon as I get back home, I'll go pressurized it with the gas line on, and I'll purge it a little bit as well.

Well, air enters and exits easier than a liquid. I'd say as long as you catch it early...and it seems like you will, it's not so much cause for concern.

But, definitely pressurize and purge when you get home.

I clean and sanitize my kegs then put them under pressure to hold the seal. Then on racking day I do a direct transfer from my kegermenter, (keg fermenter), into my keg via the beer port. I watch the level rise through the lid port. After the keg is full I close it up and zap 30psi to it, to seal it.

Force carb and cool 2 days on gas, before I need it.

pb

Well I checked the keg when I got home the other day. I pulled the purge valve to make sure it still had pressure, and it did. I didn't fully purge it, but I did go ahead and hook up the gas back to it. I showed 9.5 psi, but I knew it would increase a little. Two days later, I checked it, and it is sitting right at 12 psi. So I guess I'll just have to let it sit for a couple weeks and then try it out, I am hoping it will be ok.

Well I checked the keg when I got home the other day. I pulled the purge valve to make sure it still had pressure, and it did. I didn't fully purge it, but I did go ahead and hook up the gas back to it. I showed 9.5 psi, but I knew it would increase a little. Two days later, I checked it, and it is sitting right at 12 psi. So I guess I'll just have to let it sit for a couple weeks and then try it out, I am hoping it will be ok.

If you're unsure about oxidation issues, you may want to speed up your timeline a bit. Totally up to you, but that's what I'd suggest. I don't really think that beer is going to benefit much from a more "natural" carbonation strategy.

Anyway, if you decided to expedite the process:

1. 30-35 psi for 36hrs (a bit dependent on keezer temp).
2. Purge and attach at serving pressure for 12 hrs.
3. Pour and enjoy

Good Luck!

I agree with johnsnownw. I would expedite the process also. Besides the beauty of kegging is being able to force carbonate in a few days and not having to wait 2-3 weeks to enjoy a nice pint.

Need to leave the gas attached. The beer will absorb the CO2 and need more to fill the headpsace and hold pressure so it can keep absorbing.

And too late now, but no biggie, next time, after you rack to keg, fill headspace with CO2, cut off the CO2, relieve pressure, refill, repeat a couple times.

Leave the beer under 25-30psi for a couple/few days. Then turn down to serving pressure.

So I poured the first pour today. It has been sitting at 12 psi and 38F for 11 days. Damn, it came out great!! I'm having some while I keg the IPA now. A little cloudy, but everyone said that wouldn't affect the taste, so thats fine. Nice flavor for a 5+ abv content Mexican Cerveza. ..

ForumRunner_20131228_082320.jpg

Back