Sweet Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atietyen

Reaction score
Lately I seem to be having a problem with the sweetness of my beer. I made a pale ale and a beer northern brewer calls Jamils Evil Twin. (should be an IPAesk beer) They both came out extremely sweet. Almost like honey beers. Has anyone encountered this issue? The first thing that came to mind was fermentation temp but I used American Ale yeast and fermented at a constant 66-68 degrees. So, in my opinion they fermented at a good temp. My starting gravity was spot on to the recommended as well. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks for the help and cheers mate! :mug:

Andrew

Sweetness generally is attributed to under attenuation. What was your starting gravity? What was for Final gravity? what is your IBU?

Did you do a yeast starter?

For example if you brew a 1.060 OG beer and the final gravity is 1.030 its going to have that sweet sugary taste to it.

My reccomendation is to areate your wort well, pitch the proper amount of yeast and use yeast nutrient.

If you are still coming in high on your FG your gain bill might have too many unfermentables in it or your mashing too high.

If you are brewing all grain it sounds like your mash temps may be too high or you are under-pitching your yeast. Have you calibrated your thermometer at freezing with ice water and at boiling to make sure it is accurate?

Lately I seem to be having a problem with the sweetness of my beer. I made a pale ale and a beer northern brewer calls Jamils Evil Twin. (should be an IPAesk beer) They both came out extremely sweet. Almost like honey beers. Has anyone encountered this issue? The first thing that came to mind was fermentation temp but I used American Ale yeast and fermented at a constant 66-68 degrees. So, in my opinion they fermented at a good temp. My starting gravity was spot on to the recommended as well. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks for the help and cheers mate! :mug:

Andrew

I'd bet you're either using old or under modified malt assuming you have made no changes to your process. Increase the length of your mash or buy some new, fresh malt and see if that helps. If you've changed suppliers lately, switch back.

I noticed that my last two batches (a kolsch and a bock) were both very sweet. They were good, just really sweet. I brewed another batch this past weekend and for the first time I measured the temperature of the mash. It was running about 10 deg F too high.

Thanks for the posts about the mash going to high. This might be my problem.

Tracy

Back