Brewing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try the free trial from Beersmith. After using it for the month that it's free, you'll gladly pay the $22 to buy it.

The Recipator is the pinnacle of free brewing software IMHO (click the link, then click spreadsheet to get started). I've been brewing for a little while now, and have dropped a fair amount of cash on this and that gizmo, but brewing software is the one thing I really can't justify buying.

The recipator does pretty much everything I would need from software when trying to come up with a recipe. For the few esoteric things it doesn't do (strike temps, etc etc), one can easily find another online calc for specific tasks/calculations.

I'll admit that Beersmith et al do have some nifty features like inventory, etc -- but I'd much rather spend $20-$30 on more ingredients/equipment and use the recipator, the net, and/or a pen & paper. Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first guy to drop the cash for Beersmith if it genuinely does something that I couldn't get for free elsewhere...but at this point I'm not seeing the justification.

The Recipator is the pinnacle of free brewing software IMHO (click the link, then click spreadsheet to get started). I've been brewing for a little while now, and have dropped a fair amount of cash on this and that gizmo, but brewing software is the one thing I really can't justify buying.

I'll admit that Beersmith et al do have some nifty features like inventory, etc -- but I'd much rather spend $20-$30 on more ingredients/equipment and use the recipator, the net, and/or a pen & paper. Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first guy to drop the cash for Beersmith if it genuinely does something that I couldn't get for free elsewhere...but at this point I'm not seeing the justification.

This is why i waited a month before buying it, but I'm way too lazy to keep track of everything in a notebook, and I think the best part of Beersmith is that you can keep the brewlog and simply copy a recipe into it each time you do it to track changes and tweak revisions of recipes.

The calculators are really nice to have too.

BrewBlogger is web based (needs a lamp server), lets your create recipes and copy into brewblog, has nice calculators, is free, and being web based lets you share with others. Feel free to use the one I use (below) to try it out if you'd like

You can't go wrong with BeerSmith for $20.

I used QBrew for a while before I bought BeerSmith. It was pretty decent.

I'm currently evaluating BeerSmith myself and I'll most likely buy it after just an hour or so of playing with it. I can't really imagine not wanting to buy this program. If I buy this, there will be no more hunting for recipes. I can just choose a style that I want to brew and then start slapping ingredients together until I come up with something that I'm looking for. I also really like the feature where I can add/update the pricing on the ingredients I buy. The recipe will then tell me how much it will cost to make it and give me a shopping list of what I need...

I like Beersmith enough that I run it on Windows via Parallels. IMO it's markedly better than the OS X app (Beer Alchemy?).

I just can't justify spending the money to purchase a copy of Windows.
I would only use it for my brewing software.
Thanks for the info though.

Back