Soaked keg lines & taps in santizer too long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer2thebone

Reaction score
I soaked my keg lines and disassembled taps in santizer for about 2 months, which was probably really stupid. Now the keg lines are fogged and am curious as to whether they are still okay to use or if I should just replace them. I ran hot water through them for awhile to rinse them out but the fog persists. The taps seem okay, just in need of a scrubbing. Need some advice on the lines though. Thanks in advance!

:mug:

I have heard in the past that leaving stuff in star san for too long can leave a haze or film, I believe the solution was some form of acid wash that would remove the film but I cant remember exactly what it was (I believe it was something that I read or heard from John Palmer). If it were me though I would just replace them since it will only cost you a few bucks.

I;'ve had this happen to my siphon line, and beer lines before. I just ran some hot water followed by warm StarSan solution, followed by cold water through them. The haze remains, but the beer tastes just fine.

I have used a solution of hot water and vinegar then followed by a really good rinse of hot water and then star San. Never noticed any off flavors . Also works well to remove beer stone from kettles

Vinegar/Water solution works like a charm. Also used to get an extra-long oxiclean stain off your stuff too.

Back