Mexican craft beer when in playa del Carmen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwangler

Reaction score
Just got back to the states from a trip to playa. Thought i would share since it was quite hard to find. First off, Amazing time! For one... In my quest for cerveza artisanal though I was met with laughter, funny looks, and "we're still in a small town." One night my wife and I came across las delicias on avenida 5 at calle 22 or 24 which had the widest selection of beers for the area restaurants and bars including noche buena, bohemia obscura and weizen. After passing Tarrox 3 times (must be closed for good) and the repeated negative responses in my search the wife wasn't happy when I wanted to go further off the path (albeit, not far at all) to the beer box. I was extremely happy with the selection here. I ignored all of the American and European beers easily accessible in the states and went straight for the cerveza artisanal de Mexico. I picked up two from Calavera, a pale ale and a Belgian golden ale. Both were excellent with strong body for each style. I also picked up an imperial chocolate stout from Cerveza Jack that may be one of the best examples I've had and a scotch ale from Tempus that was easy drinking but not exceptional. Long story, not so short, go to the beer box to get your fix when you've had enough of the typical Mexican swill. Cheers!

Pretty cool. In the couple times I've been to Mexico, I've considered myself lucky if I can find Negro Modelo (the least offensive mass-produced Mexican lager I've tried so far). One of my local liquor stores carries a few beers from a Mexican craft brewery by the name of Cucapá, but I have yet to try any.

I haven't been that way in a number of years, and now that I live on the opposite coast it seems a lot more likely we'd go to Cabo nowadays. My wife has been talking about doing a trip like that again, though, and I wouldn't mind going back that way.

There certainly wasn't any craft brew around when I was there. BMC and Modelo all the way.

That's interesting "world Beer Club".... but how do you get the word "world" out of "Club de la Cerveza"??

That Translates to "Beer Club" or "Club of the Beer" for straight english....

I love Playa... but I never understand the translations of some things...

Back