Big Brown Critique. German Malts, American hops and English Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
My latest evil plan for your consideration. A nice, hoppy American Style brown Ale. 12 gallon batch

19.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Germany (2.0 SRM) Grain 74.51 %
2.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.80 %
1.00 lb CaraHell (13.0 SRM) Grain 3.92 %
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.92 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 3.92 %
0.75 lb Caraaroma (130.0 SRM) Grain 2.94 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.98 %
16.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %] (3 min) Hops 41.3 IBU
WLP007
Ferment at 68
Mash at 154

OG = 1.059
FG = 1.013
SRM = 26
IBU = 41

I am NOT thinking brown IPA here. I want body,therfore the higher mash temp and %12 crystal. I also know how attenuative WLP007 can be. But here is my thinking on the flavors.

You raise the glass and get hit with floral/spicy/citrus notes from the huge late hop charge and english yeast, then the malt/caramel body hits the tongue, followed by roasty/toasty notes from the choco/black and fades out with citrus bitterness..........

Am I barking down the wrong tree here?

a pound of columbus at 3 minutes? wow... no other comments. just wow

I am glad you noticed. I will still do a 60 minute boil, but my only hop charge will be a pound of columbus starting at 3 minutes and getting all the hops in as fast as possible. I will then cut out the heat at 0 minutes and let the wort steep with the whole cone hops for 30 minutes until I activate the chiller.

I have been experimenting with columbus for the last 6 months at various times in the boil I have found to act very similar to summit. Good in small amounts for bittering. Terrible for FWH and flavoring(if used by itself) due to onion/garlic flavors. If you use it in large amounts late in the boil you get the flavors you need....IMO

TTT

Going to be ordering grains tomorow, and as it stands I think this is the grainbill unless anybody has any advice on how to improve this. My only concern is the lack of a biscuity note from victory or biscuit malt....

Back