Cleaning my HDPE plastic fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave37

Reaction score
So I racked my BGS over to my glass carboy a few days ago for secondary fermentation. But after vigorous scrubbing with soap and water.And A starsan bath. the smell of the trub is still distinct inside my fermenter. I've now decided to go with a mild bleach solution to see if it will get the smell out.

So my questions are will this smell ever come out or should I live with it? If the smell stays in there will it negatively affect the quality of my next batch? And finally will using bleach inside the fermenter harm it at all?

Thanks

Next batch of what? Beer? I ignore the smell and as long as the fermenter is reasonably clean (no gunk stuck to it) and it is sanitized I have had no issues with the little smell of beer in it. Be careful with the vigorous scrubbing as you can scratch the plastic and create a place for bacteria to hide from the sanitizer. I wipe mine with a soft sponge.

RM-MN said:
Next batch of what? Beer? I ignore the smell and as long as the fermenter is reasonably clean (no gunk stuck to it) and it is sanitized I have had no issues with the little smell of beer in it. Be careful with the vigorous scrubbing as you can scratch the plastic and create a place for bacteria to hide from the sanitizer. I wipe mine with a soft sponge.

Yes next batch of beer which most definitely will not be a BGS. Ok was just curious if it affected or carried over to other batches with obviously different flavors and aromas. As far as my scrubbing went it was with a soft sponge no abrasive material was used. Just a lot of elbow grease. Thanks

Unfortunately, PWB or oxy will not ALWAYS take care of the problem of, say, krausen stuck to the fermenter.. not will it remove all odors. Cleanliness is as important as sanitization in my book. If you can reach inside the fermenter, take something like a cotton t-shirt and scrub the insides with fully dissolved oxy and rinse very well. If you can't reach inside, that same t-shirt or a microfiber cloth with a string attached along with a small amount of dissolved oxy will do the trick. Put the cloth in the carboy with just a little solution and shake it back and forth. I hold my carboy sideways and get the cloth swirling around and it removes everything. I have a Mikes Carboy Cleaner that usually works, but when the krausen is stuck.. I could leave it on the MCC and it would probably never get well cleaned without that added help. I'd avoid using a carboy brush if at all possible due to potential scratching.

I have a spray wand from midwest that is connected to an adapter on the sink faucet to clean out my FV's. Then onto the fermenter stand,dump in 3-4 TBSP od PBW & fill with water & stir well. Toss the lid on it & soak for 5-7 days. Drain it through the spigot into a homer cheapo bucket & dump. Rinse it out & remove the spigot & soak that for awhile. Then scrub the area around the mounting hole to get that clean.
By brew day when I sanitize it,they smell fine.

So I racked my BGS over to my glass carboy a few days ago for secondary fermentation. But after vigorous scrubbing with soap and water.And A starsan bath. the smell of the trub is still distinct inside my fermenter. I've now decided to go with a mild bleach solution to see if it will get the smell out.

So my questions are will this smell ever come out or should I live with it? If the smell stays in there will it negatively affect the quality of my next batch? And finally will using bleach inside the fermenter harm it at all?

Thanks

Mine seemed to smell a bit too but by the same token the smell seemed to dissipate within a day or two of cleaning.

Yeah, probably, but I can't drink two cases of beer every week or two to keep up with y'all. :) The majority of my posse drinks liquor, or doesn't like much beyond Bud Light, so that doesn't help either.

I noticed on my glass carboy that a short soak with B-Brite and hot water made cleaning it up quite easy. I've bought a second fermenter which is a plastic bucket, it'll be interesting to see if it cleans as easy as the glass. If I have issues I think I'll just buck up for more glass.

Rick

Back