to any Costco member

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, could be some nice free pub-licity! (sorry, that was terrible)

Good find, though, what is this Costco Connection thing?

Maybe Costco is trying to get into the homebrew supplies game? Seems likely given this revelation. Maybe now I'll have a place to purchase a metric **** ton of Kirkland brand Marris Otter for $100.

Maybe Costco is trying to get into the homebrew supplies game? Seems likely given this revelation. Maybe now I'll have a place to purchase a metric **** ton of Kirkland brand Marris Otter for $100.
That was my hope when I saw the magazine a few days ago, but then I thought they might only be offering a metric **** ton of Krikland brand pre-hopped LME, and then I got sad. A homebrew section would be a nice addition, even if you have to buy S-04 by the kilo.

Costco Connection is a magazine that costco members get monthly. A complete waste of paper if you ask me, they go right into the recycle pile at my house. Cheap homebrew supplies at cost would be sweet though

Costco Connection is a magazine that costco members get monthly. A complete waste of paper if you ask me, they go right into the recycle pile at my house.
This ^

Cheap homebrew supplies at cost would be sweet though
CNBC just did a bit on them they have a 15% markup at most on items. They make a lot of their $ from the membership fees and "impulse buys"

More than likely they're using it to collect data on whether or not it would be worth stocking homebrewing kits in their stores. Probably even tied in with Cooper's aquisition of Mr Beer. Looking to expand the market.

Bet you'll be seeing 5 gallon Cooper's equipment and ingredients kits in stores by Christmas. Or Just Mr beer starter kits.

But still if they see the market for it, you'll be seeing it in non member big box stores as well, like wal mart.

I noticed Mr.beer kits at my local Academy Sports store last December. It won't surprise me if they start popping up everywhere...

I'm not so willing to celebrate a big chain's entrance into this market. They enter the market, LHBS can't compete, closes down and then you have no one to chat with about beer when buying supplies. Not to mention only being able to buy the product(s) the store gets the best price/profit margin on. I know... I know... There is always the big internet guys, but I'd rather shop local & support independently owned stores -- even if it means paying a few extra bucks.

I was just posting to another member here that our local feed/tack/farm supply store (4 or 5 stores) is expanding their home brew section, now instead of just the basics (mr. beer, extract kits, buckets, & carboys) they have DME, and specialty grains, yeast, and brewing accessories. And at prices that compare favorably to online prices. They may not have people that are knowledgeable on brewing, like a LHBS would, but at least they are close! I hate big box stores, but if Walmart were the only game in town, I'd bite my lip and go.:eek:

wherestheyeast said:
I'm not so willing to celebrate a big chain's entrance into this market. They enter the market, LHBS can't compete, closes down and then you have no one to chat with about beer when buying supplies. Not to mention only being able to buy the product(s) the store gets the best price/profit margin on. I know... I know... There is always the big internet guys, but I'd rather shop local & support independently owned stores -- even if it means paying a few extra bucks.

I tend to disagree. I think Costco will likely stock Mr. Beer Kits as others have alluded to or extract kits at best. I don't see them stocking the wide variety of hops and yeast my LHBS keeps on the shelf. So therefore a place like Costco would serve as a great foot in the door for folks who may know nothing about brewing beer at home. A few of those people will likely go on to wanting more control over what they make and that's where the LHBSs end up coming out on top in the end. It ultimately means more business for them stocking. Because of their dedication to that niche market it means that their only real competition are other LHBSs.

Lets be real: I don't think a lot of people who have been going to an LHBS are going to start shopping at Costco for cans of hopped extract.

I just saw this. It's on page 9 of this Month's Costco Connection (May 2012), which I received in the mail yesterday. They want to hear our stories for a future feature. You can send yours in with the subject of: Beer Lover, to [email protected]

I could see Mr Beer Kits or a beginners kit (things they have carried in the past) .

Maybe a grain mill...

Can't see ingredients being a big seller.

Could be wrong.

I could see Mr Beer Kits or a beginners kit (things they have carried in the past) .

Maybe a grain mill...

Can't see ingredients being a big seller.

Could be wrong.

I agree. I don't think it would sell well enough that they could keep it in a fresh rotation.

Costco Connection is a magazine that costco members get monthly. A complete waste of paper if you ask me, they go right into the recycle pile at my house. Cheap homebrew supplies at cost would be sweet though

I have been a Costco member for years and never received a copy. I guess I'm not really missing much.

I'm not so willing to celebrate a big chain's entrance into this market. They enter the market, LHBS can't compete, closes down and then you have no one to chat with about beer when buying supplies.

I doubt any of the big chains will ever have anything other than Mr. Beer and "can and kilo" kits. Since many homebrewers got started with kits, I suspect this would increase the demand for good LHBS.

I think it will be more of a story in their magazine which will highlight their limited selection of craftbeer for sale, and maybe a new updated coopers/mr. beer kit as others have mentioned here. Their magazine has several (10 or so) stories each month about various topics that tie into products they have for sale.

I was at my local Costco last week... It's been a while since my last visit, but they had a kegerator on sale, sitting about 8 feet from a 7.1 cu ft chest freezer. Coincidence??? ;)

I doubt any of the big chains will ever have anything other than Mr. Beer and "can and kilo" kits. Since many homebrewers got started with kits, I suspect this would increase the demand for good LHBS.

Exactly.I don't think the lhbs will have to fear that. The GOOD thing though would, for me, is the possibility to be able to run out to walmart on a sunday night at 9pm when I realize I'm short of bottle caps, and the lhbs is long closed.

Before I moved last year, I had a beerstore that had a small aisle of rudimentry supplies, kit and kilo kits, some bucket fermenters, caps, a limited amount of grain and hops. It was really handy for last minute brewing and bottling sessions, but it was never a replacement for my lhbs's.

But I also think it's a good way to expand the hobby. If folks decide to by 5 gallon brew kits, then many of them will end up here, and end up in their local shops or online retailers, just like we do.

I have sent an e-mail to the indicated address for the "connection," telling them I'll be very pleased to write down my homebrewing adventures for them if they will just BUILD A COSTCO HERE. A hundred miles is too far.....but I'd love to never have to walk in to Sam's Club or Wal-Mart again.

I purchased my grain storage bins (dog food bins) from Costco, they work great! I agree that I don't really see them cycling through a supply of specialty ingredients very quickly. I would probably stick to supporting my LHBS. I suppose it's cool that they are interested in this though. I've been a member for two years now and have never received their "Costco Connection", just their coupon booklets. I'm interested to see what comes of this.

I am lucky enough to live near a Costco Business Center , I have bought many a strainer, collander, graduated container and gallons of water by the case. As for the connection, I dont know if this is for all members or the Executive ones. I know with as much as we shop there the executive makes sense.

I hate big box stores, but if Walmart were the only game in town, I'd bite my lip and go.

I wish I could take the high road and scold you for this, but alas I went to Wallmart the other day to see if they had any stainless pots for brewing. It was about 9PM. Wow, I wasn't ready for the saturation of fine company I fell into - I have never seen so many sweat pants stretched to fit physiques that would better fill an outfit that was 10-15 sizes larger.

They didn't have my pot.

They did have cat litter, organic milk, duct tape, A/C filters, and fishing hooks.

The beer selection stank. So I didn't buy any of the other stuff except the litter - I'm not proud but when you need litter, you NEED litter.

I will always buy from my local guy (with a little mail order when he won't get things I'm searching for), because I seriously doubt any Wallmart or Costco employee (I am a member of Costco) will ever walk into the cooler with you, and have a 30 minute conversation about the various hops available while letting you fondle and smell the samples, just so you can buy the exact 4 ounces you think you really need to have.

Back