Thoughts on American brown ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishplague

Reaction score
Never made a brown ale before, and I'm trying to build a recipe on my own for one. Any thoughts, suggestions on this would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

10 lb 2 row
1.5 brown
.5 roasted barley
.5 smoked malt
.25 crystal 60
.25 wheat

1 oz cascade 60 min
1 oz willamette 30 min
1 oz willamette flameout

mash @ 150 60 min
sparge 168

wyeast 1056

Added smoked malt cause i've never used it before good idea? bad idea?

Cant comment on the smoke, but a smoked brown ale if done well would be a really good BBQ pairing beer.

I think that the 0.5 lb roast barley is a little too high for the style. You dont want a super roasty brown ale (I dont think 4% will be super roasty..), b/c then it will just seem like a brown stout. Something like 2% will give you a bit of roast/coffee/toffee flavors though.

I would also up the crystal a bit as you'll need a touch more sweetness and if you decrease/take out the RB you'll nedd some more color.

Hopefully some smarter people will chime in too

Never made a brown ale before, and I'm trying to build a recipe on my own for one. Any thoughts, suggestions on this would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

10 lb 2 row
1.5 brown
.5 roasted barley
.5 smoked malt
.25 crystal 60
.25 wheat

1 oz cascade 60 min
1 oz willamette 30 min
1 oz willamette flameout

mash @ 150 60 min
sparge 168

wyeast 1056

Added smoked malt cause i've never used it before good idea? bad idea?

Okay, thanks guys, I think i'll take the RB down to .25 along with the smoked barley also to .25. would 1 lb of the crystal be too much for this recipe?

You may not have to play too much with the C60 as you've got a lot of brown malt that will provide some sweetness to the beer. You could omit the C60 perhaps as 0.25 lbs wont add a whole lot. If you want to keep it, maybe 0.5 lbs? Depends on what youre going for, but since youre mashing so low (150) it seems like you want a dry beer, so maybe just leave it out.....sorry for the stream of consciousness writing

id swap the roasted barley for chocolate. that much roasted barley isnt the appropriate flavor for a brown.

id also up the crystal and/or the mash temp

edit: nm you already made those changes

Okay cool, so i've made some changes in lieu of all of your advice and it looks like this now.

10 lb 2-row
1.5 brown
.25 chocolate
.25 smoked barley
.5 c60
.25 wheat

and brought the mash up to 156. Does this look better?

Not sure what you are going for but if it is an American Brown ale I would change things. Now I mean this only if you are brewing to style if not than anything goes.

I think 154 would be a little better, but give it a shot. There's a lot going on, but recipes tend to be more "complex" i.e., lots going on, when you first start and that's fine.

Back