Got any cubers in the house?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
My personal best so far is 47 seconds. I'm rolling with an F-II and a Dayan GuHong. I also put mosaic stickers on my store-bought Rubik's for fun :)

allthree.jpg

mosaic3.jpg

-Joe

Best I ever did was 1:12, though my average is probably closer to 1:30. Do you speed cube, or do one of the layer methods?

Jeezus! You mean there's "methods" other than randomly coming across the right combination?

Well there are only 6 moves you need to know for the layer method(although some need to be repeated several times).

2 different moves for getting the top layer right
1 move to get the middle layer right
1 move to get the bottom corners in the right spots
1 move to get the bottom corners facing the right way
1 move to get the bottom center pieces facing the right way.

Once you figure it out, it isn't really that hard and it becomes an odd sort of muscle memory. I don't actually know how to solve it anymore. If you ask me, I can't tell you how. If I try to fiddle with it I always mess something up, but if I've had a few beers I can just grab the cube and do it. Thinking just gets in the way of solving.

I had a couple friends that did it for a little while a few years ago. i can't remem,ber their quickest times but I know they were both under a minute.

Well there are only 6 moves you need to know for the layer method(although some need to be repeated several times).

2 different moves for getting the top layer right
1 move to get the middle layer right
1 move to get the bottom corners in the right spots
1 move to get the bottom corners facing the right way
1 move to get the bottom center pieces facing the right way.

Once you figure it out, it isn't really that hard and it becomes an odd sort of muscle memory. I don't actually know how to solve it anymore. If you ask me, I can't tell you how. If I try to fiddle with it I always mess something up, but if I've had a few beers I can just grab the cube and do it. Thinking just gets in the way of solving.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I had a cube when I was a kid. I solved it once but I don't really remember the details. But what I do remember is that I disassembled it, and it somehow involved a closet door for reassembly.

Can't say much for speed, but I've got just about every cube variant - 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 3x3 with the edges cut, pyramid, and some other wacky stuff...

I guess I'm a cuber, but not any of the speed cubing. I do layers, and I think my best was around 2:30. I can't imagine being able to do it in 47 seconds. Plus I mainly use it as a stress ball. Not only do you get to tune out the world for a bit, but you feel somewhat accomplished when you're done.

By the way, that is a sweet cube with the Asian symbol on it. The cubes look like they are solid color plastic. Where did you get it?

By the way, that is a sweet cube with the Asian symbol on it. The cubes look like they are solid color plastic. Where did you get it?
That's a DaYan GuHong "Color Cube". Yes, the cubies have the color molded right in. I thought it was cool as hell so I had to get one ;) I picked it up from Lightake.com.

Unfortunately, they're not legal for competition. Fortunately, you will never see me in a cubing competition :)

-Joe

Never successfully completed one myself. I usually screw around for 5 minutes or so, get pissed, and chuck it at the nearest wall. :(

It's funny that this thread came up today. Yesterday I was walking over to Detroit Receiving Hospital to meet my Girlfriend for lunch, one of the valets was standing there doing one to pass the time. I hadn't seen one in at least a decade so it was kinda shocking. It was one of those shiny metalic ones like in the second pictures.

My personal best is also 47 seconds, which I find impressive because I was drinkin at the time. Plus it was one of those cases where one of the last steps was resolved for me, which anyone who does the layer method (others too I suppose) is familiar with. I average around a minute. I've worn out 3 cubes so far, but it's a fun trick, and people are usually impressed. I agree with the rubik's cube as stress ball idea; I often like to play with the cube when I'm nervous, since it gives my hands something to do.

Back