'94 Mustang GT 5speed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
I have been trying to sell my quad for a few months with nothing more than a few low ball offers and fraud. Tonight I received an email with interest for trade for a Mustang. I'm seriously considering it. I am waiting on more specs and pictures before I move forward any further. Does anyone have any experience with them and what I should look out for?

Well, the good news is that they still had the 5.0 in the GT back then. The motors were still choked for power and the new body was a bit heavier. There are infinite aftermarket parts for the cars, but you should be weary of rust and signs that it was dogged hard. They are rugged cars, but they tend to be ridden hard and put away wet. I would look specifically for oil leaks where the trans is bolted to the engine, a loose front end, and shifting issues.

After some digging I found it has 127,000 miles, Daily driven. It is adult owned. No kids owned it. What kind of mileage can I get outta this thing. Going to be mainly a project, Sunday driver. Body looks to be in great shape, except for a small dent in the rear qtr panel. Has headers with a full back exhaust.

5.0 wasn't usually considered for it's mileage back then. And as far as adult driving, I would still be cautious. Lots of older guys love to tear around in them mustangs. The good news is that 127,000 miles isn't that much for that motor.

I concur about the rust. It can be patched, but it might be something you have to have done, rather than something you just do on a weekend. Not sure how your bodyshop skills are.

Honestly, if it's on good driving condition now, I think I'd jump on a trade like that. Fixing a quarter dent is not a big deal for a body shop. While it's in there have them do a once-over underneath for the usual rust areas.

With that many miles I'd also change the fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, PCV valve, and clean the throttle body, just as a matter of course. Maybe start replacing belts and hoses. That's enough for 1 afternoon.

Man, now I want to start working on my '69 again! Maybe I can figure out how to do some engine work inside this winter. I bet I could clear a spot in my computer room for an engine stand...

Cool. I'm texting the guy back and forth now trying to find out more about it. If all works out. Might have me a stang by the end of the weekend.

According to the Click and Clack desktop calendar, my '69 Mustang was the number one scariest car of all time. I'm not sure why. The list includes cars that are scary for a variety of reasons. The 1971 Pinto was on the list, as well as the 1987 Festiva.

The '69 Trans Am was second.

And you will be amazed at the aftermarket parts for that '94. Heads, headers, blowers, etc. I'm not sure how much of that year is computer controlled, or what type of engine management they used.

Car is inspected until 8/13, 127,000 mi, KN Filter, Headman Headers, BBk H Pipe, new back tires, racing seats, and underdrive pullies, no rust or leaks. Strong engine. Meeting him possibly tomorrow.

The mustang 5.0 H pipe was one of the greatest things ever invented.
A friend had a similar model stang in High School, with the H pipe, and it sounded just as good as many of the big block cars of the late 60s / early 70s.
I'm not crazy about underdrive pulleys though.

Roommate of mine in college had a '95 GT 5.0 convertible with the 5 speed.

Car was fun as hell to drive. I'm not a Ford man, but I'd let one of those in my garage any day.

Yea I'm pumped. Hope its as good as he says. I'll be driving that BISH tomorrow. Been wanting one for awhile

Car is inspected until 8/13, 127,000 mi, KN Filter, Headman Headers, BBk H Pipe, new back tires, racing seats, and underdrive pullies, no rust or leaks. Strong engine. Meeting him possibly tomorrow.

This sounds like a car thats been driven hard. Especially the "new back tires". I would look it over real careful.

I had a '90 5.0 that I sold to a friend that still has it and the motor still runs like a top. It has about 200k on it and I commuted with it for about 10 years. I usually got 16 mpg in town and 26 on the highway. I miss it to this day. I would get that car if I were in your position.

Back