Too sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbert21

Reaction score
I got a very simple home brew kit for Christmas. Gave it a shot... I don't know anything about home brewing.

Turned out ok, but it was a little on the sweet side. Where did I go wrong?

Well without a recipe or other related brewing information. Strictly guessing I'd say perhaps it wasn't 100% done fermenting and that left too many unfermented sugars in your beer? Again strictly a guess based in the little information provided. Without recipe, original & final gravity readings, fermentation temps, yeast used Etc etc etc it really would be hard to nail down a specific cause.

I made a cake, but it didn't taste good. What did I do wrong?!?

Just teasing you, but that's how hard it is to say what happened without any information at all.

In your case, it could be the recipe. It could be the yeast strain. It could be the ingredients. It could be that fermentation wasn't finished. It could be that the priming sugar isn't finished. It could be that it isn't fully carbed up yet.

So, no one can say at this point. But if you post your recipe, and your steps, and any hydrometer readings, we can figure out what went wrong and how to fix it for next time!

Welcome to homebrewing: For your next batch, record your process step by step. If it turns out the same way post your process and you will be able to get better help.

Did you add a pound of sugar and then boil the beer right before bottling? That would make it sweet.

If you got the kit for Christmas, it can't have been in the bottle for too long yet. One thing to keep in mind is that the sweetness of sucrose and dextrose is pretty high, so if you bottled with one of those, then you can expect it to be kind of sweet until the carbonation has run its course.

Ok. Next time I will do a better job with info. Thanks anyway.

It's hard to guess, since there are literally hundreds of kinds of kits. Without knowing if the kit was boiled, a no-boil kit, what kind of yeast, or when it was bottled, we'd just not be able to even hazard a guess.

But if you tell us the kind of kit, we can be very helpful.

Back