Buying Hops in Germany

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobrien

Reaction score
Will be in Kaiserslautern, Germany which is about an hour from Frankfurt. Does anyone know where/how I can buy some hops to bring back with me?

I would check customs first to be sure you can bring them back into the country or how they would have to be packaged/processed to bring them in.

I read another thread on this board that quantities smaller than 2kilos in checked luggage was allowable. That was a few years back, so I suppose it could've changed. It was post 9/11 though

can't tell you how to get hops, but do me a favor and swing by Thirsty Nelly's in K-town and the Tree Bar in Landstuhl. Enjoy your trip.

:mug:

Brau-partner in Heilbronn is one possibility. That's roughly an hour and a half from Kaiserslautern. Here's their web page that lists their hops supply: Brau-Partner

You might want to call them first before driving that far, just to make sure they have what you want in stock.

Funny to see this thread, my mom is going in a couple months and asked me if there was anything I wanted her to bring me back such as hops. I said some beer glasses but I wasn't sure if it was worth trucking hops around because I didn't think there was anything special over there that you can't get here. Is there? Are there cool varieties over there that can't be found here? I'll bet money most of them can't get citra as an example.

I'm not expecting to see anything different, though that would be a bonus. Just thought it would make a nice conversation saying my beer was brewed with hops I brought back from Germany...

I doubt customs would let it through. They are very fussy about plant material. Even if it is vacuum packed etc. They are essentially a raw product. The concern is unknowingly bringing a foreign disease in. Just ask the folks in Florida about this. In the past decade, two foreign diseases have been decimating the citrus trees there. Many orchards have been destroyed. Diseases that came in on a tree some smuggled in.

It can be done if the supplier goes through the hoops for their hops. Lots of Dutch bulbs make it to this country, but the suppliers get phytosanitary certification from the USDA which gives them the ability to import.

So I wasn't able to get any hops, but today, during a day trip to Belgium, I was able to score this...

image-1381018057.jpg

Back