Extreme Huge Stout - foreign extra stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavilan

Reaction score
This will be my next brew

Fermentables

2.5 lbs Briess DME 60 min
6 lbs briess LME 15 min

Specialty Grain

.75 lb Roast Barley
.50 lb Black Patent Malt
.25 lb Caramel 120

30 minutes at 150 F

Hops
2 oz willamette 60 min
1 oz cascade 15 min
1 oz cascade 1 min

Yeast
Nottingham yeast

OG 1.071
FG 1.017

2 weeks primary fermentation
2 weeks secondary

What do you guys think of the receipe?

I was also thinking in adding 2 tbsp of pure vanilla extract at the start of the 2 week of secondary? Anyone have experience using vanilla extract?

Thanks, this willbe brewed on 09/30/2012

I would not consider it extremely huge. To me it would be a big beer, but I don't think any gravity below 100 could be extreme.

Well, thats the name given by the guy at my homebrew shop. He created it so I cant be changing the name.

have you tried vanilla extract on a FES?

Double your fermentables, then it will be huge, lol. I've only used vanilla beans, so can't comment on extract, but read some ppl like it.looks like a good recipe.

Vanilla extract doesn't need to ferment or anything, and a little bit goes a long way... I'd think about adding it at bottling time, so you can add a bit, taste, add more if needed, etc...

Looks fine. It's going to be quite roasty. One suggestion- cut the cascade. Citrus and acrid bitter roastiness are an unpleasant combination; just try putting grapefruit juice in your coffee. Stick to something like Willamette, or bitter with Nugget, and flavor with Willamette. Have fun brewing.

tedclev said:
Looks fine. It's going to be quite roasty. One suggestion- cut the cascade. Citrus and acrid bitter roastiness are an unpleasant combination; just try putting grapefruit juice in your coffee. Stick to something like Willamette, or bitter with Nugget, and flavor with Willamette. Have fun brewing.

Agreed, that or Fuggles.

I love Willamette in stouts

Vanilla extract doesn't need to ferment or anything, and a little bit goes a long way... I'd think about adding it at bottling time, so you can add a bit, taste, add more if needed, etc...

You can just add it to the fermenter without pasteurizing it. It's 70 proof. Make sure you use vanilla extract and not imitation vanilla extract.

How about using the cascade as bittering and the willamet for the late addition? Im stuck with those hopes as i already bought the receipe. He use the cascade because its an american version. So it might be more of an american stout than a foreign.

Using American hops for an American beer isn't as important as the overall character. There should be little to no esters, phenols, and diacetyl. American styles (in general) tend to have hop flavor and aroma. English styles tend to come out on the malty side.

So I brewed it yesterday. everything went right. I thought I was going to be rusty, havent brew in a few of months. I switched the hops. Used the cascade for bittering and the willamettes at 15 and flameout. smelled great, coffee, a bit of cocoa, floral and woody. this morning was bubbling like crazy. OG was 1.070.

transfered to secondary, it looked, smelled and tasted yummy

IMAG1764.jpg

it's sitting at my closet right now, very well covered. I'll let it sit for 2 weeks, after 2 weeks I'll add the vanilla extract and let it there for another week. will bottled it after that

here it is, this was about 3 weeks ago. its better now:rockin:
IMG_0285_zpsee9b5a8b.jpg

dont know the final gravity because hydrometer broke on bottling day

Personally that's a LOT of roasted barely for me. Sucks because stouts always call for that and the batches I've made always come out extra strong with roasted barley flavor.

Back