Cut up your Mr. Beer LBK and ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It says $13 for shipping and handling. I may have to look into this just because it looks cool

My LBM has sentimental value. It would break my SWMBOs heart if I cut it up.

I have 2 LBKs (I use one to batch prime)/have additional small batches in the rotation, so I'd be mildly interested in trying this out. But from a functional standpoint it doesnt seem like it would make a huge difference overall. I could be wrong, but it seems like it may be more of the neat factor of having the conical shape. Nice thing about the LBK is that its footprint fits perfectly on the hump of my chest freezer fermentation chamber.

Hmmm. Got a dusty ol' Mr.Beer in the closet, doing nothing. Wonder if this is worth the thirteen bones for a small-batch/mead/yeast-washing vessel and how much effing around would be needed to fit this creature with a proper dump valve.

The hostile marketing is cute though.

how much effing around would be needed to fit this creature with a proper dump valve.

I was thinking the samething. I have one of these already and I don't think it would take much. I think I might pick up a second one to try modifing it!

Not really. Everything else you buy off their site has $8 flat rate shipping. Not sure why they are charging $13 shipping for this trade offer.

Regular price is $25 plus the shipping and you can't get a LBK for less then $13 from Mr. Beer.

This thing looks like fun for trying new (half) recipes. Anyone brewed a batch in one?

The LBK's are too usefull for small batch brewing. And as cool as those are, it looks like they indeed ONLY hold 2 gallons, as opposed to the 2.5 that you can put in a mr beer. I like the idea that when I'm brewing a small batch I'm still brewing 1 case of beer.

They're cute, and I'll probably get one someday but like someone else said my LBK has sentimental meaning. ANd I know that iirc they're ex Mr Beer employees or something, but I don't like the mean-ness of their marketing.

as cool as those are, it looks like they indeed ONLY hold 2 gallons, as opposed to the 2.5 that you can put in a mr beer.

From their comparison graph, it looks like it's the other way around?

"The BrewDemon fermenter was designed to handle a 2.5-gallon batch of beer just as easily as it does 2-gallons."

This thing looks like fun for trying new (half) recipes. Anyone brewed a batch in one?

I have one of these and I'm on my second batch of brew with it! The first Recipe (Wild Spirit IPA) I'll be sampling this weekend and the second recipe (One Evil Pilsner is going into the bottles this weekend!

Also just FYI the LBC (Little Brown Conical) will do 2.5 gallon batches without a problem and will hold over 3 gallons total if you really needed to. You really have to be careful trying to get a full 2.5 gallons in the Mr. Beer LBK, and if you do there isn't much head space left. This isn't the problem on the LBC.

Regular price is $25 plus the shipping and you can't get a LBK for less then $13 from Mr. Beer.

I understand but they are asking $13 for "shipping", when if you order one for full price it's $8 shipping. I understand its a good deal regardless, but how does "shipping" go from $8 flat rate to $13?

Plus you have to pay to ship your LBK to them. If this could handle 5 gallons I would be all over it, only 2 gallons, not going to bother.

BansheeRider said:
I understand but they are asking $13 for "shipping", when if you order one for full price it's $8 shipping. I understand its a good deal regardless, but how does "shipping" go from $8 flat rate to $13?

I assume that would be the "handling"; either way, sounds like the typical workaround to make something "free".

Seems like if they could make a 2.5g for 25 bucks, they could make a 5 gallon for 50....

Plus you have to pay to ship your LBK to them. If this could handle 5 gallons I would be all over it, only 2 gallons, not going to bother.

You don't ship them your entire keg. You cut out a piece of it (they show you what you need to send in the link) it'll cost the price of a stamp

Have two Mr. Beers, only one has sentimental (my first brew) value. I'm tempted to bite with the second one which has the new design with no air lock, just a lid that doesn't seal tight enuff to keep co2 from venting. Don't like that one at all really so I'd cut it for the novelty of having the mini conical.

it does have a better spout and thought about trading in but............

The Mr Beer fits nicely in the back of my cabinet where the wife doesn't have to look at it and therefore will not complain about it.

I have three LBK's so I took out the dremel tool today and cut out a section and sent it in. I like to brew 2.5 gallon all grain/partial mash batches so the new conical should work better. Does anyone have an opinion on the new Mr. Beer extracts vs the old? I have brewed almost all of them and have been underwelmed when brewed without tweeks. A few of the old extracts were good straight up like Wity Monk & Pilot House Pilsner. May have to order them to keep the pileline full.

Wish I had thought to use my dremel. I hacked though it with a box cutter. What a nightmare!

Anyway, I had 2 LBK's and the valve on one was terrible so I dont feel bad sacrificing it.

I hacked mine out with my leatherman. Taped it into a thank you card.

Great promotion. Worth the 13 bucks IMO.

image-462165496.jpg

I have a Mr. Root Beer. Wonder if they're the same?

The Mr. Rootbeer kit that I have didn't come with a keg fermenter. The only other thing that you might be able to use is the clear keg that Mr. Beer makes for their Cider kits.

Tomorrow is the last day to take advantage of this deal! Did anyone else sacrafice their LBK to get a BD LBC (Little Brown Conical)?
photo_original_120.jpg

I live in Phoenix and was thinking about just driving down and hand delivering mine. Called just to make sure and the gentleman on the phone said YES I could bring it and that would work, Buuuuuuuut, the LBC is shipped from their warehouse in Washington, I think.

Dangit! Would have been cool to just drop off the LBK shard and pay the handling and get it then. Oh, well. In the mail it goes tomorrow!

GREAT PROMOTIONAL DEAL!

Thanks Demon Brew!

I did. Sent them a message with some follow up questions and havent heard back. I will say that Mr Beer has excellent customer service. So far, these guys have not impressed. We'll see how this goes.

I think this is blasphemous. And in poor taste, especially considering how many people who had never even considered brewing until they got a Mr Beer as a gift. This company, and probably most homebrew related companies in the US anyway, likely owe a good chunk of their bottom line to Mr Beer in one way or another. Also, how about passing it down for someone else to try?

woknblues said:
I think this is blasphemous. And in poor taste, especially considering how many people who had never even considered brewing until they got a Mr Beer as a gift. This company, and probably most homebrew related companies in the US anyway, likely owe a good chunk of their bottom line to Mr Beer in one way or another. Also, how about passing it down for someone else to try?

That's all mr beer will ever be. A starting point. Because as soon as people find out you can brew 5 gallons for the price of or lower than 2 gallons of mr beer they are gone. I started with mr beer. Joined the forums over there. Grew tired o the same old blah blah blah nothingness. Every post was the same. As soon as I saw the price for all grain I was gone. Haven't looked back since

That's all mr beer will ever be. A starting point. Because as soon as people find out you can brew 5 gallons for the price of or lower than 2 gallons of mr beer they are gone. I started with mr beer. Joined the forums over there. Grew tired o the same old blah blah blah nothingness. Every post was the same. As soon as I saw the price for all grain I was gone. Haven't looked back since

I completely agree with your statement, and still stand behind mine.

Yes and no for me. I brewed with it 3 times, then went to extract kits, then partial grain, and now do all grain, so figured I would never use it again. But then came Hard Cider, all my fermenters were taken up, so I made a 2 1/2 gallon batch of cider and put it in my Mr Beer. Then i realized last week I still have 5 lbs of 2-row sitting around, so I decided to do a experimental batch with that and spices, and did a BIAB that was about 2 3/4 gallons, and i put that in my Mr Beer 4 days ago.

So while I don't hardly use it, it has come useful for me a few times still :mug:

I just received the PayPal invoice today and I mailed them last Tuesday. So I assume it will be another week+ for me.

Back