When is too late for Pectic Enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyphoxx

Reaction score
My cider is almost three weeks into fermentation, and I just realized I still haven't added pectic enzyme. I'd really hate for it to be cloudy. Will it do anything at this point? Can it hurt?

I've added it months after fermentation has ended. Just dump it in the carboy and give it a stir (gently) to dissolve. If you don't want to stir it in dry, pull a little cider out with a thief, mix the PE and add it back to the carboy. It will clear up in a couple weeks.

I've added it months after fermentation has ended. Just dump it in the carboy and give it a stir (gently) to dissolve. If you don't want to stir it in dry, pull a little cider out with a thief, mix the PE and add it back to the carboy. It will clear up in a couple weeks.

Yes, you can do as above and add it anytime. I either dissolve it in a sample of the cider/wine or in a little water and stir it in. If you have a pectin haze, it will help, not matter when you add it.

Back