Am I in for a mess??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bniesen

Reaction score
I recently bottled a batch of a Honey Cream Ale (1056 american ale yeast). I let it ferment out in the primary for 2 weeks. I used the corn sugar method and primed enough for 5 gal (3/4cup corn sugar in 1cup water). I didn't notice at the time but apparently I only had 4 gal. I had a mishap when pumping from boil kettle to the fermenter (damn hose flopped out of the fermenter :mad: ) looks like I lost a gallon. I bottled 27 12oz bottles and one 1.5 gal Home Draft System.

Am I going to to have bottle bombs?? :confused:

Lessons learned: mark carboys (6.5gal) in half gallon increments. Make sure your hoses will not flop out of fermenter.

I'm fine with over carbed, I can deal with that as I am still trying to dial in my process.
I have an old boil kettle with gallon marks etched into the inside and a ball valve on the very bottom on the side, I think I'll be making this my bottling kettle next time.
I'll be looking into getting some glass etching material or maybe something less expensive and more simple for the carboys.

If this batch still tastes great and just over carbonated, I'll be happy and looking forward to making a 10 gal batch next time.
Thanks for the piece of mind. :mug:

well the beer has been in the bottle for 2 1/2 weeks and the beer is actually undercarbed. This beer was only in the primary for 2 weeks so there should have been enough yeast in suspension. This has been an ongoing issue with the last 3 batches. I always follow the 3/4 cup corn sugar dissolved in 8 oz of water per 5 gal. and always add the priming surgar solution to the bottleing bucket then rack on top. I usually try to kick up a little of the yeast settlement when I rack.
Anything wrong with this method?
I'm going to test my capper by capping a bottle and holding it under water.
I'm thinking that next time I'm going to have to try and add more yeast at bottling time.
What yeast should I use and how much? I'd like to use dry cause it sounds the most convenient.
How should I store the leftover yeast (dry yeast)? Just an air tight container?

What temperature are they being stored at? With a short primary like that I can almost guarantee there's more than enough yeast left to do the job. Unless you're carbing a massive beer that's been conditioning for months, there's no need to add any more yeast at bottling. My guess is that it just needs more time to carbonate. Most people say that 3 weeks at 75F is the MINIUMUM time it takes to fully bottle carbonate. Some beers will take much longer, especially higher gravity beers. Cooler temps will also slow or halt the carbonation process. For future reference, if you want more accurate and consistent carbonation, measure your priming sugar by weight rather than volume. There are some handy calculators like this one that can help you accurately dial in whatever carbonation level you want.

68-70 dgrees F is what they are being stored at. Seeing as this beer was only about 5.5-6% ABV I couldn't go wrong with how I primed it and thought it would had carbed up be now. I'll wait another week before I open any more and see where its at.
I thought that 2 weeks would have been enough time but I don't mind waiting another week to be sure. When I start doing ten gallon batches I'll start using a priming calculator.

tested the capper and it seals the caps just fine. I'm gonna have to say that I'm just too damn impatient. *SIGH* I need to start kegging. lol

Even with kegging i find that if i force carb the keg quickly it still takes a week or two for the co2 bite to settle out and after 3-4 weeks the beer tastes much smoother. Gotta get a good pipeline going so that stuff is conditioning while drinking the current brew.

As for carboy etching. . . why not just get these? From Bobby_M on the site here. http://www.brewhardware.com/index.p...n-numbers&catid=44:cut-vinyl-decals&Itemid=70 I'm gonna grab some when i have some more budget to play with.

trying to get the pipeline going, indeed. will also help when doing 10 gal batches, 5 gallons just doesn't seem to last. For the month of August I'm going to to brew 5 gal of APA and 10 gallons of the Honey Cream Ale.

Back