Mixing yeast strains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemonkey

Reaction score
Anyone else mix two types of yeast? I brewed an imperial stout last year. I fermented with white labs 007 dry english ale yeast in the primary, then dumped a pack of red star dry champagne yeast into secondary. I really didn't notice any extra activity in the secondary, but I got lazy and didn't hydrate the yeast first (my bad). The OG was 1.100 and FG was right around 1.030. I'm not sure if the champagne yeast helped at all, but I did have quite a few unfermentables so I'm not too surprised at where it stopped.

I'm now tossing around the idea of brewing a braggot, and I'm considering mixing yeast strains again. I'd like to get better attenuation this time, so eoes anyone know if it would be better to mix both strains in the starter? Or would one strain overwhelm the other?

BTW, I'm going to add some beano to the mash/fermenter to get more fermentable sugars.

I've only done it once, so far, but I think I got better results with putting both yeasts in at the beginning for my current Old Bog Water. The final gravity was a bit lower, sooner. But, we are talking about a brew I won't be drinking for a couple more years.

Putting them both in the starter would give the drying yeast time to grow and adapt to the wort.

I've only done it once, so far, but I think I got better results with putting both yeasts in at the beginning for my current Old Bog Water. The final gravity was a bit lower, sooner. But, we are talking about a brew I won't be drinking for a couple more years.

Putting them both in the starter would give the drying yeast time to grow and adapt to the wort.

It's over 2 years later. Did you ever get a chance to try this brew? How did it turn out?

Back