Newbie Cider Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nashsnazzy

Reaction score
Hey gang,
I started my first cider back in October of 2011. I mashed several pounds of apples in a masticating juicer and then filtered the cider before I put it in the carboy and topped with a vapor lock. I have a 5 gallon carboy and I only have about 3 gallons of cider. Looking back I know that was a really bad idea. I put the yeast in and it did it's thing in about a week. I tasted it, it tasted very dry and didn't have much alcohol. I added some sugar and the yeast went crazy for another couple of days. The cider smelled a little bad so I let it sit, and sit, and then I got really sick (unrelated medical issue) and didn't pay it any attention for about a month.

The cider smells great now but it has a thin white film across the top and there are some white specks on one side. Would it be safe to remove this and continue with bottling? Any ideas on what this is? Thanks in advance for your help and for reading this.

Cheers :mug:

It should be. Try racking underneath the film into your bottling bucket while leaving the film in the carboy. I quick taste will tell you for sure, but it more than likely is still good

Back