phew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob111

Reaction score
I made a batch of cider with macintosh apple juice
I let it go dry it tastes ok but it smells like ass
there is a sulfur smell.
I didn't add any chemicals to it
all I did was put ec-1118 in the 2L bottle and let it ferment out
it fermented dry in 4 days.
I racked it for 3 days and it cleared out very nice.
I did it this way because I read on here about people fermenting in the plastic containers and said there was no problem
could the plastic have caused this problem or is it something in the juice.

Stressed yeast can have a sulfury smell. If it's really, really bad, you could have H2S which could ruin the cider.

If it's only a week old, it's probably not abnormal to have a bit of sulfur odor. But it's not really good. I'd gently stir it up, to get rid of some of the sulfur smell but not oxidizing the cider. Cover with the bung and airlock and make sure it's topped up to avoid headspace.

its already bottled does this matter
the good thing about it is the wife went to the fridge to get some peach wine she opened the bottle, sniffed and it was priceless then she grabbed the other bottle thinking it was peach opened it and sniffed it and got another shot of stink
it was almost as good as pulling her head under the covers
anyway can I save the batch, it was only 2 liters not a big loss but I hate to waste alcohol

could it have anything to do with the plastic juice bottles
I just smelled the other batches and they all smell that bad
is it likely that they are all stressed

I doubt you'd get any H2S from the plastic seeing as though most plastics are just long chain polymers with an alcohol/carboxylic acid group. I.E. no sulfur groups.

Were there any additives or something similar in the juice? I'd suggest looking at the ingredients and (if any) typing them into google and looking for structure/chemical composition.

Stressed yeast can have a sulfury smell. If it's really, really bad, you could have H2S which could ruin the cider.

If it's only a week old, it's probably not abnormal to have a bit of sulfur odor. But it's not really good. I'd gently stir it up, to get rid of some of the sulfur smell but not oxidizing the cider. Cover with the bung and airlock and make sure it's topped up to avoid headspace.

+1 on that yeast can give it a sulfury smell. I use White Labs cider yeast on ocassion and white labs even lets you know that their will be a sulfury smell but that it will disipate within 2-3 weeks.

Mcduff

+1 on that yeast can give it a sulfury smell. I use White Labs cider yeast on ocassion and white labs even lets you know that their will be a sulfury smell but that it will disipate within 2-3 weeks.

Mcduff

are you talking about a little smell or a real rotten egg smell
the apple juice fermented dry in 4 days.
do you think I should rack it for a week and see if it changes.
I don't know how the smell will escape it's dry and the air lock is completely motionless.
I also tried a 2L batch of pomegranate/ blueberry it went dry in about 2 weeks but it also has this smell

now I'm more confused
a friend of mine is doing the exact same thing with the same yeast and his batches are fine
can temp or humidity have affects on the process I am making mine in the basement where it is around 70
he is in an upstairs apartment where it is warmer but I thought the lower temps were better

now I'm more confused
a friend of mine is doing the exact same thing with the same yeast and his batches are fine
can temp or humidity have affects on the process I am making mine in the basement where it is around 70
he is in an upstairs apartment where it is warmer but I thought the lower temps were better

How well are you aerating the must? Are you stirring well? The temperature seems fine.

I don't know what you mean about "racking for a week". "Racking" means siphoning. You "rack" the beer to move it to a new container.

I do know that one week (or two, or three) is WAY too early to bottle. Some of the rotten egg smell will disipate with some time, but not if it's bottled.

yes by rack I meant siphon it to a new container and get it off the lees I'm still pretty new to this hobby I thought the second container was call "rack" thanks for clarifying that
I thought i read here that apple cider could be ready to drink in a week or two
or does that mean you can drink it but it's not really ready to bottle and age or at it's peak flavor.
now to the "aerating the must" these are 2L bottles of apple juice I just put yeast in the bottle and air locked it. how would I aerate it just by putting the cap on and shaking it up?
thanks

How well are you aerating the must? Are you stirring well? The temperature seems fine.

I don't know what you mean about "racking for a week". "Racking" means siphoning. You "rack" the beer to move it to a new container.

I do know that one week (or two, or three) is WAY too early to bottle. Some of the rotten egg smell will disipate with some time, but not if it's bottled.

how often should I stir
how long before apple cider is drinkable

Latest posts

Back