Laughable Post here, don't kill me.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quixand

Reaction score
So...about 4 years or better ago...I made a wine. What kind, I have no idea. My now ex wanted a wine, being a homebrewer, I figured sure...what the heck.

It was a kit from my LHBS. Anywho. It's been in my closet now, way in the back. And I just found it today while cleaning. /ducks

It's been in the dark, and in a 6 gallon carboy with an airlock since then. Granted, the lock dried out...how long ago I have no idea. I refilled it with water. When I popped the bung, it...actually smelled FANTASTIC. No rotten or vinegar smell. It smelled like a good red wine.

I think it still has the oak chips in it though, and the wine is VERY dark. Using a flashlight, I couldn't even see through it.

I figured before I just poured it out, I'd post here. I have enough bottles to bottle it. Corks, and a corker....so....I'm capable of getting into bottles if you guys think it's still good.

I was planning on racking it into another carboy, and go from there?

I don't know much about wines at all. So....please halp! :)

probably just getting good.

Definitely not a dumper. Why didn't you sample it? Afraid?

I would rack it like you said to get it off the chips, let it clear for a while. Do you still have sulfites to add? You might want to wait until you do. Twould be a shame to oxidize it now if it isn't already.

Someone with more wine making experience can weigh in on possible finishing steps to finish it prior to bottling.

Nothing in there is going to hurt you except memories of your ex. :p
Only one thing to do and that is try a sample. Oh yea, rack and sulfite it too.

AWESOME. You guys have no idea how happy you've made me. :)

I'll wait to rack it till this weekend when I can get some fresh sulfites at the LHBS.

I didn't taste it because I can't find my thief. LOL Otherwise, I totally would have.
I guess I'll have to give it a good name then, like....Black Widow something....or Trollop Juice. LMAO

Will update this thread as I go.

Joncat....was thinking about it. LOL

It was hers anyway...despite the fact that she ended up being a whore, I don't hold any ill will. Things happen for a reason. LOL

Gonna swing by the LHBS right after work to pickup some stuff for my brew day this weekend. Including a new thief, and sulfites. Will update later this evening with some pictures.

Wine was NO GOOD....well...I'm not a wine drinker at all, but....it wasn't good at all. Color was brown, which I'm guessing oxidation from the dry airlock.

Alcohol content was nice and warm...wine smelled of nothing BUT alcohol.
A couple people over last night tasted it, and we all agreed we wouldn't drink it. So, I'm gonna toss it. BOOOO! =(

Back