Odorless Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first post here, so sorry for breaking protocol....

But I had read other threads regarding trying to make fermentation odorless, and I have found a very easy method.

I took a plastic bag of the type in which produce comes in, filled the bottom with about 1 cup of baking soda and taped it loosely on the airlock, leaving room for air to slightly circulate. I am currently doing a Kolsch that is about 4 days into primary and has some strong (good IMO) smells...

Now I can barely detect any smell at all.....

anyone else tried this?

- Adam

http://www.oaklandgourmand.com

Why would one want to make fermentation odorless?

I frequently find myself sniffing the airlock. I love the smell of fermenting beer. :D

I personally like the smell too...

It's more of my wife saying "This is why I said Lofts are NOT meant for BEER BREWING..."..and the fact that I am doing it in a closet with all of our jackets, which now have a lovely hops/sulfur aroma;)

I figured this out after I heard her say "no more" and with her not knowing that in the car there are ingredients to make a partial mash belgian wit beer...

I've never considered trying to ferment odorless (and don't plan to), but if you're making that bag air tight, you could screw something up. What? Dunno.

Something as "minor" as stuck fermentation due to the inability of air to escape to as major as an exploding carboy. I doubt the latter, but something funky might happen with fermentation if you've got that sucker air tight.

Then, cool! It's suddenly a fun little experiment that seems to be working out for you. Maybe something to try for those sulfur smells in some beers.

love the smell of fermentation... wait until you brew belgian beers and/or use "forbidden" fruit yeast.
Smells like rotten corps....

Any one tried charcoal filters ?

Love the smell, almost as good as drinking the beer itself!!
I'll spend 10 minutes smelling my blowoff bucket...its like a drug, and smelling 20 gallons of fermenting beer is like taking a big puff....

You could make a inline charcoal filter within the blow off tube..too much work imo....
Embrace the smell!

Back