I have a new favorite beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiochris

Reaction score
Its called Dortmunder , from great lakes brewing. I went to applebees for fajitas and had one of the tall glasses of this stuff and it went so well with the fajitas Im gonna have to go back and do it again. It could probably be considered a dark or medium lager ??? Im wondering now if there is a clone recipe for it somewhere. It wouldnt be the same but if it was even close it would be good.

Try their edmund fitzgerald porter...it's probably in my top 5 as far as porters go. Great Lakes makes a lot of good beer.

I love their beers. My favorites are Elliot Ness, Conway's Irish & Christmas Ale. If you ever go to Cleveland and can visit, they have stuff on tap at the brewery that they don't sell otherwise.

I actually haven't had their beer, but my sister-in-law and her husband discovered it when they lived in Cleveland. They're in Jersey now, but make occasional trips back to Ohio and always pick up a case or two of the Dortmund Gold before they return. I'll have to try it one of these days!

The Dortmunder Gold is fantastic. Wish I could get great lakes beer out here. I too would be interested in a clone-like recipe.

I went to high school right next door to that place, its real nice. Whenever they are brewing, the smell would just waft through the entire campus, it was great!
I am a huge fan of the new Lake Erie Monster, look out for it, its their summer seasonal.

Its called Dortmunder , from great lakes brewing. I went to applebees for fajitas and had one of the tall glasses of this stuff and it went so well with the fajitas Im gonna have to go back and do it again. It could probably be considered a dark or medium lager ??? Im wondering now if there is a clone recipe for it somewhere. It wouldnt be the same but if it was even close it would be good.

This is about as light in color as you can get. Dortmunder is actually a style coming from a specific part of Germany. Its a blonde or pale lager. The beer is good though, easy drinking.

yeah real good stuff. Its the only beer of theirs I have had, but I really like it. I think I'll try Elliot Ness next...

hmmm....I've been seeing that stuff in the liquor store but have yet to pick any up. I'm in MN so I don't have issues finding it, I've just never heard much about it and I always seem to find something else that catches my eye.....will be grabbing a 6 pack now next time I'm at the beer store :D

Great Lakes is the only thing I miss about Ohio! My favorite is their Blackout Stout winter seasonal. Dortmunder Gold is a good go-to since every bar in Cleveland has it on tap.

Like mezak1gd said, Dortmunder Export is an actual style of Light Lager

Try their edmund fitzgerald porter...it's probably in my top 5 as far as porters go. Great Lakes makes a lot of good beer.

+1 on the porter, it is my favorite craft brew. I have an Edmund Fitzgerald clone that is in the keezer carbonating as I type. I will probably draw my first mug tomorrow. :)

+ 2 on the Edmund Fitzgerald porter. It is awesome stuff! My favorite porter currently. I have enjoyed all of the brews I have tried from them...........like the fact the labels come of easy too for recycling with my own creations :)

I had the Great Lakes Dortmunder a few months ago for the first time. I was extremely impressed. I wish I could get it around here. It's a rarely brewed style, but Great Lakes certainly did it right.

I'm currently sipping a Commodore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewing, and it is a damn tasty brew. Plus I love the slogan for it: "Don't give up the sip!" :D
Really, I've yet to be disappointed by anything I've had from Great Lakes Brewing. I have a pipe dream of a grand road trip circling the great lakes and hitting all the breweries. :mug: There's a lot of good ones, even just around Lake Superior. El Niño IPA from Fitger's Brewhouse is one of my all-time favorites. I never go up the north shore without getting a growler or two from them. :)

Dortmunder Gold is the beer that got me hooked on "Good Beer". Their Holy Moses is a great seasonal wit, I'm hoping to try their Lake Erie Monster soon.

Just had a Dortmunder last night with my friend from Czech! First time I've had that style, it was quite nice.

+ 2 on the Edmund Fitzgerald porter. It is awesome stuff! My favorite porter currently. I have enjoyed all of the brews I have tried from them...........like the fact the labels come of easy too for recycling with my own creations :)

they must've changed something cuz their labels were a beooch to get off...alot of times that means i won't buy the beer...but its too damned good.

I miss Great Lakes Brewing. I'm going back to Cleveland in July, there will be many a dortmunder golds consumed. :D

Their Burning River is one of my go to beers. Dortmunder is actually my least favorite, but maybe because it is such a standard in NE Ohio that I just take it for granted. Every bar has that on tap. You could spend weeks in and around Cleveland at various breweries and beer bars and not be disappointed.

Their Burning River is one of my go to beers. Dortmunder is actually my least favorite, but maybe because it is such a standard in NE Ohio that I just take it for granted. Every bar has that on tap. You could spend weeks in and around Cleveland at various breweries and beer bars and not be disappointed.

x2. I moved to Vegas from Cleveland 4 years ago, and still haven't found a good brewery out here. I did pick up a groupon for http://www.tenayacreekbrewery.com/ hopefully its good :mug:

I grew up drinking BBK Export in Germany. I brewed one as my first lager this year. Bottled it yesterday. Can't wait to start drinking it next month.

I tend to think of Export as being a darker version of a Pilsner with harder water. I've always been surprised that it's not more popular drink in the US.

The only Great Lakes beer I've had is Eliot Ness, and its my absolute favorite lager. I could drink that stuff all day long.

+1 on their labels. I've never had as many problems getting a label off as I did with these Commodore Perry bottles. Soaked for hours and they still didn't come clean...

+1 on their labels. I've never had as many problems getting a label off as I did with these Commodore Perry bottles. Soaked for hours and they still didn't come clean...

Really??!! I have a buddy that drinks Commodore Perry almost exclusively. I take all his bottles, do an overnight soak in OxiClean Free and the labels are usually lying in the bottom of the bucket by morning.

It's one of the best examples of a Dortmunder available. It is even listed as an example in the BJCP guidelines. I have a pretty close recipe I should post. Will try and do that this weekend.

Please do that. I agree, it's an awesome example of the style. That beer has fantastic character.

I enjoy their Nosferatu when it's out as well. A big, hoppy, malty ale, sorta between a barleywine and an imperial IPA. Think Arrogant Bastard but a more citrusy hop character.

Love the Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes Brewing. I'd like to strangle the evil SOB that picked the label glue. Usually most labels come off with a hot soak in some soapy water...I had to break out the Oxyclean Free. It worked like a champ.

Good beer...evil labels

Oxyclean Free rocks!

Please do that. ...
Here it is. Keep in mind this is for a ten gal. batch and a decoction mash. But I have brewed it many times before as a single infusion of 1.25qt./lb. at ~150oF and it was great.

Recipe: Dortmunder Pretzel Munchin' Beer
Brewer: Rhoobarb
Asst Brewer: Mrs. Rhoobarb
Style: Dortmunder Export Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
21.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 84.00 %
3.00 lb Munich Malt (8.0 SRM) Grain 12.00 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
1.50 oz Perle [8.00 %] (70 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 15.0 IBU
1.75 oz Hallertauer [6.00 %] (30 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
3.00 oz Saaz [5.10 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
1.50 oz Saaz [5.80 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.34 oz Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Single
Total Grain Weight: 25.00 lb
----------------------------
Decoction Mash, Single
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
15 min Protein Rest Add 29.50 qt of water at 130.3 F 122.0 F
45 min Saccharification Decoct 16.38 qt of mash and boil it 151.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 4.75 qt of water and heat to 168.0 F

Notes:
Add gelatin and crash cool for seven days after dry hopping. Rack to kegs and lager for two months.

Thanks for the recipe.

My first taste of great lakes beers was burning river. To me thats kinda what it tastes like , a river so polluted that it caught fire :eek: I still drink it sometimes when I really want a very bitter beer , goes good with shrimp and finger food especially if chased with a whiskey and cola. To me there is just too much bitter and not enough sweet to balance it out. Im gonna have to try the other varieties.

Thanks Rhoob. That looks fantastic. Didn't expect to see a dry hop, but that beer definitely has a punchy hop character. Will give it a whirl.

:mug:

If you ever go to Cleveland and can visit, they have stuff on tap at the brewery that they don't sell otherwise.

QFT. Some 3 years ago I went to the brewpub late one winter evening. I don't remember what it was called, but they had a stout on tap that makes their Blackout (a good, strong stout in its own right) seem like a Bud Light. It was ridiculously good.

As for the labels coming off those bottles I soaked mine for an hour or two in hot strong bleach and automatic dishwasher detergent and they came right off. Much of the glue stayed on the bottle but I used a scrub brush and it came right off , so they arent as easy as other brands but not a nightmare though either.

Back