Tinseth or Rager or Garetz for IBU calculations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianP

Reaction score
Which method do you use for calculating IBUs? I plan on doing full boils - is Tinseth the best for full 5-gal boils?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

It's been a while since I read up on the different algorithms, but I think Tinseth is generally accepted as the most accurate among homebrewers. That's the one I settled on after reading as much info as I could find.

I have heard peoplw say Tinseth was best for full boils too.

Of course they are all estimates, so it is most important to be consistent. Everyone's equipment and water will extract bitterness differently too. On Basic Brewing Radio they send out some beers to a chemistry lab and had the IBU analysis done. Tinseth and Rager were usually pretty close...averaging them usually got you closer.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning toward Tinseth. Looking at his website, it looks like there is some good science behind the numbers.

By the way, Yuri - I admire your work - quite handy with the welding and metal work.

Regards,
Brian

Beerrific said:
Of course they are all estimates, so it is most important to be consistent.

That's the key IMHO...once you know what to expect from the method you choose, you accurately compose your recipes to get your levels right where you want.

Back